• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jenealogynv@gmail.com

jenealogynv@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:37 PM

Is it possible or in the road map to enable printing of media that is attached to an event > source on a report?

As an example, for years I have downloaded census images > create an event for a person > cite the source > add the image under the Media tag.  I I would like to be able to generate a report like a family group sheet where those images could be printed where that source is cited.  

I think that it's important to maintain the original source for others to evaluate, rather than having them rely on "my transcription" in Detail Text.

Another option:  Maybe a checkbox on a report where you could select "media" and if so, have all printable media documents printed in a gallery, similar to what is done in websites.  Obviously anything that was not printable, like a video, could have a default sentence like "Video available from Author".  

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

A couple thoughts in reaction....

1 - Census images are too big to print readably on an 8.5x11 page, but many other image types do quite well.

2 - My workaround for including images is to use the Reports > Publisher feature to create a book. This allows me to include lots of info that would not show in a simple narrative report. The Scrapbook chapter can be set to print for a Person, Family, Source or Place. When the number of images goes over 75, I tend to create a separate "companion scrapbook", because I've found thatmy readers get overwhelmed when the book gets to hundreds and hundreds of pages. I distribute in PDF format, and have had no problems with my readers being unable to access both the "main" and "companion" books.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:01 PM

My favorite example of the need for images in narrative reports is to be able to include a photo of a grave marker along with the burial fact. Other examples abound - perhaps a wedding photo to go along with the marriage fact, for example.

I do agree that it's difficult to picture good ways for many documents to embed images of the documents in a narrative report. A census image is a good example of this problem, where in order to be legible a census image would have to be so large as to disrupt the flow of the text in a narrative report. Separate chapters or appendices or companion books are reasonable sounding alternatives. But for "reports on the Web", it would seem to me that text links to images or thumbnail links to images are an excellent approach. I use the GedSite software to present my RM data this way on the Web.

Jerry