• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

using latest free version 7570 on windows 10 pro

imported ged file and another ged file

wanted to remove duplicates

error : sqlite 5 database locked

known problem or doing something wrong

I would like to purchase rootsmagic ..   are these problems also known in purchased version

best regards, Guy Przytula

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

The only difference between the trial/free program and the unlocked one is the unlocking. So it is likely that the conditions that cause an error in the former should result in the same error in the latter.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

Make sure you haven't accidentally opened the same database twice in the same RM session. That will leave the first-opened file editable, but the second-opened file will be Read Only and should cause problems in editing, etc.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:25 PM

Make sure you haven't accidentally opened the same database twice in the same RM session. That will leave the first-opened file editable, but the second-opened file will be Read Only and should cause problems in editing, etc.

I don't understand this comment. In my experience, opening the same database twice in the same session in two different sub-windows is a standard and well supported function that doesn't cause any problems. It allows you to have the same database open twice with a different person having the focus in each sub-window or with a different main view (Pedigree, Family, etc.) open in each sub-window. Conversely, RM prevents two different instances of the program being open at the same time.

Jerry

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:03 PM

I don't understand this comment.

For me, if I open a second copy of the same database, the first-opened copy gets moved to the right pane and the second-opened database appears as the left pane. I can make/SAVE any changes I want in the first-opened copy (on the right) without issue. BUT, if I make any changes through the second-opened copy (on the left), the changes get saved BUT upon closing that second-opened copy... Rootsmagic.exe access violations start popping up as soon as you resize the first-opened copy by dragging its left vertical border to the left. And the access violations continue until you close out the first-opened database and re-open it. That's my observation.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:08 PM

The locking and access violations arise from a variety of operation sequences. There are temporary files that individually lock and may have been left locked by an errant process. The merge procedure generates a semi-permanent .dup file; if RM mistakenly left it locked, the next merge would be blocked. When I use SQLiteSpy on a file open in RM, I can switch back and forth until I do something; I haven't tracked it but a custom report locked out Spy today. And we know that RM blocks the Compact database process after some other operation and it should not.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:44 PM

For me, if I open a second copy of the same database, the first-opened copy gets moved to the right pane and the second-opened database appears as the left pane. I can make/SAVE any changes I want in the first-opened copy (on the right) without issue. BUT, if I make any changes through the second-opened copy (on the left), the changes get saved BUT upon closing that second-opened copy... Rootsmagic.exe access violations start popping up as soon as you resize the first-opened copy by dragging its left vertical border to the left. And the access violations continue until you close out the first-opened database and re-open it. That's my observation.

I'm getting more and more access violations and other such RM errors as time goes by. I do not know what is causing them. I do keep my RMGC file in my Dropbox folder, but I always pause Dropbox when I'm using RM. And in general I do use SQLite to produce reports, but I don't do it very often and the access violations happen regularly even if I haven't used SQLite in weeks. I do not know what is causing the increase in access violation errors. I did get a new computer last fall which is much faster than my old one, and I'm now on Windows 10 instead of Windows 7. But the various access violation errors were happening on my old machine and on Windows 7.

I have a theory of what's going on but I have no way to prove it. I can observe that RM has lots of threads running, and threaded operations are inherently asynchronous and therefore are inherently in need of synchronization from time to time. I don't know what all the RM threads are doing, but WebHints are surely running asynchronously in threads. Whatever these threads are doing, if they don't synchronize with each other properly then all kinds of bad things can happen such as access violation errors and corrupted databases. So I guess it seems to me that RM might possibly have some very subtle errors in its internal thread management. Such errors (if indeed that's what the problem is) can be devilishly difficult to diagnose and fix because they can be totally unrepeatable.

The errors you are seeing with two RM databases open at the same time are news to me in the sense that I have never encountered them. They could be thread related or they could be something else. If the symptoms are as repeatable as you suggest, then I would urge you to open a ticket and let the developers take a look at the problem. They might or might not be able to replicate the problem, but it would be good for them to take a look. And even if they can replicate the problem they might or might not be able to fix it easily in RM7. But surely it would be good to avoid having RM8 delivered with such problems.

Jerry

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:32 PM

Rootsmagic.exe access violations start popping up as soon as you resize the first-opened copy by dragging its left vertical border to the left. 

I replicated the error following your procedure, Kevin.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:37 AM

I replicated the error following your procedure, Kevin.

Thanks, Tom.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:43 AM

Rootsmagic.exe access violations start popping up as soon as you resize the first-opened copy by dragging its left vertical border to the left. And the access violations continue until you close out the first-opened database and re-open it. That's my observation.

I'm glad Tom was able to replicate this error. This one definitely does NOT seem related to thread management.

Jerry

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:00 PM

I can confirm the issue too. I have sent the steps to development. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:43 PM

I am also getting the database locked error more frequently these days, hopefully Bruce finds the problem soon.

If one accepts second best then quite often that's just what one will receive

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root