• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 78steelhead

78steelhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:16 PM

All, I'm new to RootsMagic, but have been a member on Ancestry.com for years.  I just bought a new laptop and RM7 and tried importing my trees from Ancestry. 

However, my primary tree, which has over 10k people is giving me issues:

1) A majority of my people show on my list anywhere from 2-6 entries (possibly more).  When opening them, there appears to be no difference in information.  

2) Many of the women in my tree will show up both under their maiden name and their married name.

3) None, and I mean none, of the media I have attached on Ancestry, will show in RM.  It recognizes there is some sort of attachment, but all I get is a square with a red "x" in the lower right corner.  This goes for all media: photos, headstones, screenshots, all of them.

However, with my smaller trees, neither have issues 1 or 2, but 1 does seem to have imported the media, and the other did not.  I have tried redownloading, deleting, and downloading yet again, but cannot get these issues cleared up.

Here's the weird thing.  If I go back to manage my trees on Ancestry, it gives me the option to export the tree that I was able to get all of the media to download from.  The other 2 are saying "Download you GEDCOM", almost like they are still waiting to be downloaded, and the other already has been.

Does anyone have any idea of what I must be missing?

Thanks.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:55 AM

To download the media, you must use RootsMagic TreeShare instead of the Ancestry GEDCOM. The Ancestry server program interface (API) used by TreeShare has been adversely affected for months by system changes at Ancestry as has general usage of Ancestry, resulting in slowness, unavailable pages, unfinished or corrupted transfers. Large trees are more vulnerable in transfers than smaller ones because they are exposed longer to possible disruption.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

In the index you will see a blue plus sign icon next to a name if they have an alternate name fact. You can turn that option off using the Options button at the top of the sidebar index, or look for a checkbox in People View or the RM Explorer. Turning on the "Record Number (RIN)" will help you determine if there are duplicate people. Go to Tools>File Options>General>Number to display after name to select that. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 78steelhead

78steelhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:54 AM

Thank you both so much!  I just finally had some time to go through and was able to get all my trees downloaded, and it appears that almost all media files did download as well.  Thanks again!