57 replies to this topic

#41 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

I had my RootMagic Media running quite handsomely INSIDE "Program Files" -- Specifically, C:\Program Files (X86) in RM4.

You can add files to the Program Files as long as you are not editing them. So having the media there would work. Would I ever recommend that? No. The reason being is I've seen uneducated users deleted everything when they are advised to delete RM and reinstall. I have to be really careful with RM3 users because that version would put the database file there. After Vista came out you couldn't edit inside the Program Files (x86) folder but we have users that still did that and would lose everything with an uninstall. I remember to tell RM3 users to be careful of that, but I wouldn't think of RM4 users putting extra files in the program files folder. They would lose all their media with an uninstall of RM.

The Fix broken media links tools wouldn't look inside of the program files folder for any media. That is why it wouldn't find and repair those links while the media was there.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#42 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

Vyger Says:

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

-------------------------------

Interesting.  We have a lot in common.

I'm using RootsMagic 7.5.7.0, Legacy 9.0.0.226, the RootsMagic Ap Version 1.4 and Families Sync V3.0.1.0 which works nicely with Legacy -- on Win 10 and iPhone X.

#43 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

Yes, there are continuing vagaries in RootsMagic Help.

One Key Question:

Where is the ruddy "Media Gallery" placed/located?

#44 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

Posted Today, 09:14 AM

I had my RootMagic Media running quite handsomely INSIDE "Program Files" -- Specifically, C:\Program Files (X86) in RM4. [Spencer]

You can add files to the Program Files as long as you are not editing them. So having the media there would work. Would I ever recommend that? No. The reason being is I've seen uneducated users deleted everything when they are advised to delete RM and reinstall. I have to be really careful with RM3 users because that version would put the database file there. After Vista came out you couldn't edit inside the Program Files (x86) folder but we have users that still did that and would lose everything with an uninstall. I remember to tell RM3 users to be careful of that, but I wouldn't think of RM4 users putting extra files in the program files folder. They would lose all their media with an uninstall of RM.

The Fix broken media links tools wouldn't look inside of the program files folder for any media. That is why it wouldn't find and repair those links while the media was there.  

Renee
RootsMagic
1. That is quite useful, Renee.  Thank You.
2.  Fix broken media links tool *did* appear to "look inside" Program Files, in my experience -- or it at least scanned past it, when I ran the tool.
3.  If the misinformed user of RM3 had her/his Media Files *inside* the program itself and then upgraded to RM4, she/he could lose all those media files, right?  Because they are told to delete RM3 and reinstall.
4.  Key Query now is:  "Where is 'Media Gallery' located and how does one access it?"

#45 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:37 PM

4.  Key Query now is:  "Where is 'Media Gallery' located and how does one access it?"

The "Media Gallery" is a dialog window of the results of a SQLite query of tables in the database. What are you wanting to do that motivates your question?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#46 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

Of course, I want to look at this "Media Gallery".

Why is it hidden?

#47 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

It isn't hidden. If you have succeeded in batch correcting media links with the "Fix broken medial links" tool, you have been into the Media Gallery. You have been told two ways to get to it in prior messages. Surely you can find "Help" and use its index and search functions to find basic information without asking others to jump through hoops trying to divine what your problem is when a little homework will solve it. And there is oodles of how-to information presented via the RootsMagic website for you to explore.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#48 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

Tom,

Clearly, you are not understanding my Line Of Inquiry.

There is no good reason at all why we, as educated users of RootsMagic, should not be allowed to see the file/files that contain our own, unique "Media Gallery" in RootsMagic.

So all we need is the name of those file/files and where and how they may be accessed by the user.

Further, you post two links to a website that is allegely going/gone out of business, but make no attempt at all to explain why you are posting them.  Here they are:

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_CeltiSQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki,

Rmtrix_tiny.pngRmtrix_tiny.png app

Confusing and widdershins, to say the least.

Best Regards, Spencer

#49 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

Spencer, clearly you are not reading thoroughly or do not understand the messages and links that you have been given over the course of this, now 3-page, discussion. There is no Media Gallery file. In the SQLite database file (extension .rmgc) in which RootsMagic stores your data are many data tables, the descriptions of which you will find in the SQLite Tools for RootsMagic wiki, hence the potential to "exploit the database in special ways" as stated in my signature and explained on that site. RootsMagic Inc does not hide your data from you; unlike Family Tree Maker which uses the same database engine, RM has left the database open and accessible to those with the smarts and chutzpah to look into it using the SQLite version of the Structured Query Language.

Should you explore this avenue further, you will find the MultiMediaTable which contains the parameters or properties the application needs to be able to use the media files that you add to the "Gallery". The media files themselves remain outside the database; the only image stored within the database is a low resolution thumbnail for speedy display on those RM screens where a thumbnail is needed. If you want to know more, please explore the Wiki.

The other link in my signature is to a Windows utility I wrote some years ago that has a menu driven set of SQLite scripts from the Wiki. No SQL programming is required to use it, just as no knowledge of SQL is needed to use RootsMagic - the SQL queries execute outside the user's view.  Hence RMtrix is described as a "bundle of RootsMagic utilities".

I have no idea what "widdershins" means.

#50 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:32 PM

Spencer.

Click Lists > Media Gallery and there it is, click Tools and then Fix Broken Links and there it is.

Press F1 for help or go Help > Contents and search "Media Gallery" and read, it is fairly simple, don't over think it.

My advice is try to use the resources available and learn, many have tried to point you in the right direction.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#51 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

Tom,

Yes, that's clear enough, as a lacuna in your understanding. But you could easily look it up.  

Indeed:  Both Widdershins and Farblondjet.

But More Importantly -- and Relevant:

This tool you recommend:

SQLite Tools for RootsMagic wiki...

...Which you have proffered to be useful in further resolution of these difficulties..

It Simply DISAPPEARS at the end of the month?

If So, Not Very Useful Then...

So Why Do You Proffer It?

Spencer

#52 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

Posted Today, 01:32 PM

Spencer.

Click Lists > Media Gallery and there it is, click Tools and then Fix Broken Links and there it is.

Vyger

-----------------------------

Sadly, Vyger, you are missing the point.  The goal is to see the actual files that contain the "Media Gallery" data -- not just peek at it from inside the program, through a portal.

How Sad that you have totally missed that point.

#53 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

Spencer,

Your media files on on your hard drive, in whatever folder that you created for them.

As stated previously, RM does NOT import the files, it only creates a set of links (analogous to web links) and small thumbnails.

If you want to look at the files all together, you could use the Media Gallery, because that's what it is for.

Or, you might choose to get out of RM and use your favorite image viewing program. Navigate to your folder, and view your files.

'Nuff said?

#54 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

This tool you recommend:

SQLite Tools for RootsMagic wiki...

...Which you have proffered to be useful in further resolution of these difficulties..

It Simply DISAPPEARS at the end of the month?

If So, Not Very Useful Then...

So Why Do You Proffer It?

Spencer

So you did not read or understand the first paragraph on the home page and follow its links for more information. Here it is:

Wikispaces hosting of SQLite Tools For RootsMagic to end on or before 30 Sep 2018.
For what we are doing, read Migrating from Wikispaces

'Nuff said.

#55 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:30 PM

The subject of "what is RM's media gallery" and "where is RM's media gallery" has been pretty well beaten to death, but let me try to clarify further anyway.

RM's media gallery is not a file on your hard disk. It's not even a folder or a sub-folder tree on your hard disk. Rather, it's a table in your RM database. Your RM database is an SQLite database with many, many tables. There is a table called the MediaTable in your RM database that could be said to be your Media Gallery.

You can view RM's Media Table directly via programming with SQLite. But for most users, the best way to see RM's Media Gallery is via Lists->Media gallery. Using the Lists->Media gallery facility provides a slightly indirect view of your media gallery, but using Lists->Media gallery does provide a pretty good view of your media gallery and it does not require any SQLite programming on your part. Indeed, RM users do not have to do any SQLite programming at all.

RM's MediaTable does not include any media files. Rather, it includes links to all your media files and your media files are stored on your hard disk as standard Windows files such as JPG, PNG, PDF, etc. RM includes a tool to fix broken media links under Lists->Media gallery.

In addition to its links to media files, RM also includes links between the media files and other items in RM such as people, families, facts, sources, citations, and places. These other links are called tags. When you highlight a file under Lists->Media gallery, in addition to showing you the location of the file on the hard disk, RM also shows you all the tags for the file - for example that the file has been tagged to the birth fact for John Doe.

A file which has been linked into RM's media gallery does not have to be tagged to any items in RM. For example, could link an image of a birth certificate to RM's media gallery without tagging the image to anyone's birth fact at the same time. You can include tags at the time you link files into RM's media gallery or you can go back and add the tags later.

Media tags are not stored in RM's MediaTable. Rather, they are stored in a different RM table called the MediaLinkTable. RM joins the two tables together and if you are so inclined you can view the two tables directly with SQLite. But you don't need to use SQLite because Lists->Media gallery displays information for you from both tables in a single integrated screen.

Jerry

#56 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:42 AM

Of course, I want to look at this "Media Gallery".

Why is it hidden?

Posted Today, 01:32 PM

Vyger

-----------------------------

Sadly, Vyger, you are missing the point.  The goal is to see the actual files that contain the "Media Gallery" data -- not just peek at it from inside the program, through a portal.

How Sad that you have totally missed that point.

I find it sad that so many others seem to have failed to answer your questions to your satisfaction, I was simply answering your question above which I believe I did. You said "I want to look at this "Media Gallery" and I told you where to find it, so how did I miss your point and leave you feeling sad?

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#57 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:01 PM

If you go to Tools>Program Options>Folders and click on the [...] it will bring up your File Explorer. You can select the folder you want for Multimedia files. This is the location the program will first open when you are trying to attach media in RM with a MediaTag. It can be the folder you have stored all the media locally on the computer. From there RM links to the media but doesn't not embed it in the program itself. If you happen to be scanning inside RM it will store the media inside that folder. You have to take care to not move or rename the media from that location if you don't want the media links to break. You can still store new media in any location you wish on the computer since RM is only storing a link to it. 

If you are using Ancestry with RM you will find a media folder with the database name_media as its name. It will be sub-folder inside the folder your database is located. That is needed to work with Ancestry and RM will create that folder itself. It won't effect any other media links you already have. 

Depending on where you stored the media on your computer will determine where you find the actual images. The Lists>Media Gallery shows you all the media you are linked to. As you highlight each thumbnail image in the media gallery you will see in the lower right section the full media pathname for where it is located. You cannot see any folder with those thumbnails that were created as a reference in RM. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#58 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:22 AM

Thanks, Renee...

That is most clearly stated, on-point and directly responsive to my query.

It definitely helps to clear out a Great Deal of misinformation, twaddle and insistant bugling that has been posted by some in this thread.

Spencer