57 replies to this topic

#21 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:28 PM

Yes, I have scanned my hard drive for errors, frequently -- none found to date.  Performing Well.

Yes, files the tool cannot find are actually on the drive.

The cure seems to be ---- re-install each media file -- one at a time -- by hand.

Well, I only have 421 of them.

#22 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

Perhaps there are some continuing problems with RootsMagic 7 and Windows 10 too.

Well, those will be worked out over time.

My problem is certainly not unique -- and is not "resolved"...

Except in the sense that I can manually recreate each Media File connection -- 421 of them.

#23 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:48 PM

1] Select all of the media files

2] Right click, copy

3] Then go to the folder where the files should have been to begin with and Right click, paste

At least this works for me.  But if the files are in the system area, you might have to be in a System Manager Account to make it work.  Since  put all of my RootsMagic files on  the F: drive, not the system area, I would not see this problem.

For what it is worth, I do not do routine work-Word, Excel, RootsMagic, Internet browsing in a System Manager Account.

Again for what it worth, early income tax programs created folders within the program area for tax files.  Was this in Windows 3.1?  I don't really remember.

#24 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

I have more than twenty thousand multimedia files linked to my RM 7.5.7.0 database. The earliest ones are dated in 2001, which was when the prior program (Family Origins) was current. "Fix broken media links" has several times been very useful in correcting my mistakes - typically renaming or moving a file from Windows rather than than within RM. I would not suspect that the tool is broken, but I haven't got a clear suggestion of what your problem really is.

I learned, the hard way, that I need to be careful to give every media file a unique name. Early on I set up a folder organization to place birth, census, city directory, death, etc., etc. media files into separate folders. It was a carryover from how I organized files submitted by my students for evaluation and grading. Anyway, the mistake I made, early on, was to allow 2 files, stored in separate folders, to have the same filename. Bad idea. RM's "Fix broken media links" doesn't look at the path & folder when it is trying to resolve broken links. So RM tried to incorrectly link a bunch of my mistakenly-identically-named files. What a mess I had made. It has been years since I learned that lesson, and with thousands of media files, I am still finding duplicate filenames to sort out. Some days, even with 30 years of experience in genealogy, I still feel like a rookie.

I suggest that you look carefully at the drive & folder location of your media files. Check RM's Tools > Program Options and verify that the Folders are documented correctly. Make sure those folders are not in the boot drive's system folders. Make sure that the media folder(s) are not designated as Read Only (Windows - Properties - Details).

#25 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:01 PM

Once upon a time, I was a system manager of Digital Equipment Corporation RSX11M and VAX minicomputers.  The system account was used to add or delete users, manage line printers, install or delete compilers, assemblers, etc.  Users had their own disk accounts and quotas.  The same philosophy works on Windows systems.  Don't use the system manager account to do ordinary work.

For what it is worth, keep a couple of system accounts on a Windows system.  My primary account became corrupted and I used my wife's system account to create another system account under my name.

#26 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:29 PM

Thank You All,

For the thoughtful suggestions and cautions.

Much Appreciated.

I'll Continue The March.

I've often found a Scorched Aprroach is most useful and salutory.

Cheers & Aloha,

Spencer

#27 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

Recte:

Thank You All...

...For the thoughtful suggestions and cautions.

Much Appreciated.

I'll Continue The March.

I've often found a Scorched Earth Appoach is most useful and salutory.

Cheers & Aloha,

Spencer

#28 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:03 PM

So the media files for RootsMagic should not be stored with the rest of the program?

The same concept is true of virtually every program in Windows. This concept is not specific to RootsMagic.

Windows programs are installed in their own sub-folder of a folder called "Program Files" without the quotes (there is a blank in the folder name). Generally speaking, Windows programs are forbidden from writing anything into that folder or any of its sub-folders.

Jerry

#29 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:54 AM

That simply was NOT the case in my experience.

I had my RootMagic Media running quite handsomely INSIDE "Program Files" -- Specifically, C:\Program Files (X86) in RM4.

#30 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:07 AM

John_of_Ross_County Said

"1] Select all of the media files

2] Right click, copy

3] Then go to the folder where the files should have been to begin with and Right click, paste

At least this works for me.  But if the files are in the system area, you might have to be in a System Manager Account to make it work.  Since  put all of my RootsMagic files on  the F: drive, not the system area, I would not see this problem."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Thank you for that.

Also, I'm the System Manager -- so no problems on that front.

I'm trying some variants of that technique -- combined with Selective Scorched-Earth Destruction (SSED) and Reconstruction on RM 7.5.7.0

#31 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:47 AM

That simply was NOT the case in my experience.

I had my RootMagic Media running quite handsomely INSIDE "Program Files" -- Specifically, C:\Program Files (X86) in RM4.

I wonder if you run with administrative privileges on your Windows account. I have run without administrator privileges on my Windows account for many years for reasons of security and safety. Administrative privileges might allow you to store and access files inside "Program Files". If that's what is happening, it could explain why different RM users report different experiences about storing data files along with program files.

Jerry

#32 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:37 AM

Well, Yes...

I suppose that's quite possible.

#33 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:57 PM

Making Progress...

...Painfully Slowly.

I've restored four media files to RM 7.5.7.0.  Individually.

I now have ALL the target Media Files stored in Documents/Rootmagic Media --- Shining Brightly...little heads peeking up.

I've been restoring the files with the Tool: "Fix broken media links" -- one by one, MANUALLY.

But I need a BETTER TOOL...

One that will fix ALL those Media Links, with ONE or TWO, or THREE STROKES.  Not just one by one.

Does such a Tool exist in RootsMagic 7.5.7.0?

Again, over 400 media files, are ready and waiting in Documents to be connected to RM7.

Bring It On.

#34 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:51 PM

Start the "Fix broken media links" search in your Documents folder, and it will automatically scroll through any sub-folders. I am perplexed at your statement that you must fix links one-by-one. I've never had to do that.

#35 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

Where and how are you starting this professed Global "Fix broken media links" Tool?

#36 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

With your database open and active in RootsMagic, click the camera icon on the menu bar and then Media Gallery in the dropdown list. In the Media Gallery dialog window, click on Tools and then "Fix broken media links". If that is not what you have been doing when you say you have been using the tool, then no wonder we have been talking at cross purposes.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#37 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:11 AM

Indeed.

Yes, we have been talking at cross purposes.  I have been skinning the cat by a different route.

Thank you.  I've now been able to fix another 63 links.  Only 300 or so more to go -- and then I'll begin adding new ones.

#38 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:59 AM

Indeed.

Yes, we have been talking at cross purposes.  I have been skinning the cat by a different route.

Thank you.  I've now been able to fix another 63 links.  Only 300 or so more to go -- and then I'll begin adding new ones.

Just open Media Gallery under Lists and use Fix Broken Links from there, I have over 9 thousand media links and after some rearranging needed to run this yesterday evening, in less than a minute all were re-linked.

There are a couple of sections in the Rootsmagic Help File which refer to this and Media in general.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#39 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:44 AM

And this concurrent discussion on Facebook illustrates that the tool's capabilities and user interface are not intuitively obvious to everyone: https://m.facebook.c...902210326633181

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#40 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

And this concurrent discussion on Facebook illustrates that the tool's capabilities and user interface are not intuitively obvious to everyone: https://m.facebook.c...902210326633181

I left the Facebook group but will likely join again in the future when circumstances warrant it. During my time there it was like a broken record on repeating topics which users obviously did not find intuitive and did not search the help file or Facebook Group for previous discussions. Alternate Name + sign was one, fixing Family Links was another, Media being in focus was a third. I tried to put myself in a new users position and searched the help file for "plus symbol", "blue +" etc and could find no reference so one cannot blame the user. Rather than accepting and addressing these repeating user difficulties and frustrations by programmed solutions I believe Rootsmagic was more happy to rely on the goodwill and community help of that Facebook Group.

Now without knowing what Rootsmagic development are doing and creating it's hard to judge there apparent lack of care and attention to these small recurring difficulties in RM7, but for those who bought RM7, I do believe they deserve a complete product with the snags ironed out.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root