57 replies to this topic

#1 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

How do we make sure our media files are transferred from RootsMagic 4 to Rootsmagic 7?  The photos and videos seem to get lost [disconnected] when we upgrade from one version to another.  Ideally, one could upgrade and simply port all the media files from the old version to the new one.  

But is there some sort of workaround that will allow for all those media files to be manually inserted into the new version, RootsMagic 7?  Or do they all need to be laboriously reconnected, one by one?

Thank You.   :)

Spencer

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:05 PM

Unless you are moving the media files or renaming them the links should remain exactly the same. Upgrading to a new version will not change the links so something else is happening if the media links are breaking.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:45 PM

Thanks, Renee.

Yes, the media links have broken.  Any thoughts on that?

Best Regards, Spencer

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:53 PM

Renee has likely knocked off for the weekend. If you still have the media files on your hard drive and have not renamed them, in the Media Gallery select Tools>Fix broken media links and select the drive and folder containing the media files to be the root of the search.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

Great Idea!  I was hoping there might be something like that in the way of commands.  I'll try it, as I do have the Media files on hard drive and have not renamed them.  I'll try it.

Best Regards,

Spencer

#6 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:33 PM

Well, I tried that -- but no joy.

Also, all my little media tags have bright red "X's" in the lower right corner.

Curious...

Spencer,

Best Regards

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

That is puzzling. Try downloading and installing the latest update of RM6, yes, 6. Open the RM4 database with it and check for broken media links (red X).

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:39 AM

Well, yes.  As I noted above, the media tags do have red X's in the lower right corner.  So, the links do appear to be broken.

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:12 AM

As said before, if the files are on your hard drive RM should restore the links, RM only stores a path to your media file.

Get the filename and the expected path from the right hand pane in Rootsmagic Media Gallery for any file with a broken link. Copy just the file name and search your hard drive for that file name using Windows Explorer or other. I suspect the files are either missing by some mishap or have changed location to somewhere you are least expecting to find them, maybe even a different logical drive, although RM should have restored the links if you gave it a wide enough search scope.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#10 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

O.K.  I now have RootsMagic 4, 6 and 7 all installed on my laptop.  Yes, I bought all three of them. As well as other versions.  The media files are clearly in C:\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 4.

I have media tags in Version 7 [and 6] but with red "X's" in the lower right corners, indicating broken links.  These are just tags and will not expand to full-size .jpg files.

I have checked the links and they are correctly annotated in Media

You insist that "if the files are on your hard drive RM should restore the links"...

...But it casn't done so,

As Renee notes above:

"Upgrading to a new version will not change the links so something else is happening if the media links are breaking."

Yes...

Something else is happening.

#11 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

I think that the problem Might[??] be that the files are in C:\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 4.

I have some vague recollection that user files should not be in the C:\Program Files folder.

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:27 PM

That is most certainly the issue. User created files must not be stored in the Program Files area. RootsMagic's Fix broken media links tool won't even search there. Move them out of that area into the Documents folder or some other folder intended for data and then use the tool.

#13 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

Fascinating!

So the media files for RootsMagic should not be stored with the rest of the program?

Widdershins.

I'll try putting them in Documents

#14 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

I'll try putting them in Documents

TomH is correct and sorry I overlooked that, a Windows folder could be overwritten when doing a restore so you don't want documents there.

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Root

#15 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

O.K  I put all the Media Files in Documents -- in their own folder, RootsMagic Media.

There they all, all bright and shiny and with no red X's.  Pure .jpg files.

Then I used the RootsMagic "Fix broken media links" tool to find them and fix the links.

It did search in C:\Program Files (x86)...Contrary to the above.

In fact I told it to search the entire C:\ Drive, as well as to search the specific sub-folder -- and to search just Documents.

It did not search either.

Perhaps the "Fix broken media links" tool ----needs fixing?

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:40 PM

"It did not search either."???

Really?

Or, do you mean, searching in either did not fix any broken links? If that is the case, then the filename that is stored in the database for a thumbnail with a red X has no matching file on the hard drive, despite your assertion that the file is present. Copy that filename from the image properties in RootsMagic into the search field for Windows File Manager and see if it can find it.

#17 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

Yes, Really...

It did not seach either Documents or the sub-folder Rootsmagic Media.

It just sat there -- dormant.

The "Fix broken media links" tool -- refused the options -- sit-down strike.

But it DID Search C:\Program Files (x86), when I tried to search the entire C:\ Drive, contrary to what you stated avove:

"That is most certainly the issue. User created files must not be stored in the Program Files area. RootsMagic's Fix broken media links tool won't even search there."

Tom

SO, perhaps that is NOT "most certainly" the issue.

#18 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:54 PM

Recte:

Yes, Really...

It did not search either Documents or the sub-folder Rootsmagic Media.

It just sat there -- dormant.

The "Fix broken media links" tool -- refused the options -- sit-down strike.

But it DID Search C:\Program Files (x86), when I tried to search the entire C:\ Drive, contrary to what you stated above:

"That is most certainly the issue. User created files must not be stored in the Program Files area. RootsMagic's Fix broken media links tool won't even search there."

Tom

SO, perhaps that is NOT "most certainly" the issue.

It becomes increasingly probable that one's Media Files are likely to become bollixed when one upgrades RootsMagic from an old to a new version.  Carpe Diem.

#19 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

Okay, I surmised that incorrectly on the assumption that it wouldn't search there because user files are not supposed to be there.

That the tool hung searching your Documents folder suggests a system problem. Maybe your hard drive has an issue. Have you scanned it for errors?

And have you yet proved that a file the tool cannot find is actually on the drive?

#20 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

Spencer, please do bear in mind TomH does not work for Rootsmagic, nor do I. We are both Rootsmagic users giving of our own time simply trying to help other users like yourself.

Every day is a school day and I would always choose a Documents folder for non system files and never a Windows folder. you appear to be blaming Rootsmagic and others whilst they try to help and you never did answer the question TomH asked about whether you could find these files using Windows Explorer.

Either way, I would assume your problem is solved, sorry it took so long, but a simple Google Search would have yielded the answer maybe without needing to ask the forum.

https://support.root...Default-Folders

Root