• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Igraffman

Igraffman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

I note that some media have multiple tags, example is a census entry that tags the person for birth and another for residence. So far I see no way to add tags for my own media. Thanks

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2986 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:42 PM

I don't quite understand the question. I wonder if you might be using the term "tag" in the sense that TMG uses the term tag. If so, then a tag in TMG is a fact in RM.

A tag in the RM sense is a link between a media file and an "object" in RM. Such an object in RM that can be tagged with media can be quite a few different things - a person, a family, a place, a master source, a citation, or a fact. All such RM tags work the same way.

Or your reference for a census entry and residence suggests that you are talking about the way ancestry.com does things. If you create a tree on ancestry.com, it uses a census record to create a residence fact and the census record becomes a citation for that fact. If you then import that person from ancestry into RM with TreeShare, then TreeShare brings the residence fact and its citation into RM. If you are working directly in RM, you can create your own people and families and facts and master sources and citations, and you can tag a media file to many such objects. It works very differently in RM than in ancestry.com.

My guesses may be very much incorrect, but perhaps one of my guesses is sort of close and might help to clarify your question.

Jerry

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:10 AM

I note that some media have multiple tags, example is a census entry that tags the person for birth and another for residence. So far I see no way to add tags for my own media. Thanks

Go Tools>Leaning Centre>Webinars or the link below and watch webinar #30

http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Igraffman

Igraffman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

Thanks. If I click on a media item that in fact probably came from Ancestry, I sometimes see a lot of tags which refer to different facts. Example:
Cite: persons name (birth)
Cite: persons name (residence)

I don't know how to do that for my own media.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:32 AM

Thanks. If I click on a media item that in fact probably came from Ancestry, I sometimes see a lot of tags which refer to different facts. Example:
Cite: persons name (birth)
Cite: persons name (residence)

I don't know how to do that for my own media.

If you watch the webinar video you will learn how to do that but simply highlight the media in Rootsmagic Media Gallery and select Tag Media, if the media is not already in RM Media Gallery then select Add New Media to add it, Rootsmagic Media Gallery in available under Lists. You can continue to add TAGS to enents etc where you feel the media is appropriate.

If you are using RM7 you can also Drag&Drop media to the general or event Media Album as shown in my video below. Media Album is like a drawer or folder in a filing cabinet particular to person, event etc whereas Media Gallery is like the complete filing cabinet.

https://youtu.be/25gkgOAgv3k

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Root

#6 Igraffman

Igraffman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:51 AM

Thank you. By choosing a new camera icon for a different fact and dragging the media in, a new tag is added exactly as I needed. Thank you again!

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:08 AM

Thank you. By choosing a new camera icon for a different fact and dragging the media in, a new tag is added exactly as I needed. Thank you again!

You're welcome, glad it helped.

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root