3 replies to this topic

#1 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:32 PM

I know I've mentioned it before, but would really like the switch that activates the lightbulb to be something we could use to filter people.

Saying that though, there are some people that are of very low or no interest to me.  I have them in my database, but that are collaterals of collaterals etc.  I'd like to turn off the hints for them.  I'm not going to go to familysearch and work the hints and would like to dim that bulb as it were.

I'd like to click on the bulb and have an option:  Show no future hints for this person.

If at some later time I become interested, I should be able to click the bulb and re-enable hints for that person.

Thank you.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2986 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

I'd like to click on the bulb and have an option:  Show no future hints for this person.

"Show no future hints for this person" is theoretically possible, and actually should be relatively easy to implement. All it really would require would be a flag for each person in the RM database that could be set, reset, and interrogated.

Filtering on hints would be somewhere between impossible and extremely difficult. That's because the hints are not stored in RM. The hints are are only known to the various servers. RM only knows about hints because it asks the servers, and it only asks the servers for the people currently displayed on the screen. Asking the servers about everybody in your database would overwhelm the servers, the Internet, and your RM program. And just to be clear, RM does not know to display a yellow light bulb, a clear light bulb, or no light bulb unless it asks the servers. So only the servers know if there are any WebHints, and when WebHints exist only the servers know if they have been approved, rejected, or are not yet approved or rejected.

That being said, I do wonder if there might be ways for RM to know about ancestry hints and at least some FamilySearch hints without having to ask the servers on the fly each time. In the case of ancestry, hints are only available if you have run TreeShare and the hints are really associated with your tree on ancestry. So I wonder if the TreeShare "syncing" process which is not really a syncing process could someday be enhanced to enable the presence of hints to be communicated from ancestry to RM for everybody in your database. Doing so would require enhancements in the TreeShare API that is provided and supported by ancestry. I could conceive of this happening, but only in the far, far future.

FamilySearch would be even harder. The hints are really associated with the large FamilySearch Family Tree of everybody in the world. The FamilySearch API supports a matching process between individuals in Family Tree and individuals in your RM database, but the FamilySearch WebHints process does not depend on this matching. But nevertheless I could conceive of the FamilySearch API being enhanced in the far, far future so that information about hints for matched individuals could be transmitted from FamilySearch to RM via the API.

WebHints for MyHeritage and FindMyPast work very differently, and it's very difficult to envision any scenario in which information about their WebHints could be stored in the RM database.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

Jerry - thank you for explaining.  I see now why this would be a problem.

I have asked familysearch to consider sending weekly emails to my watch list for hints in addition to changes.  Maybe they will accommodate at some point.