17 replies to this topic

#1 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:33 PM

Please add rearrange spouses/children to the right click options.

I'm constantly right clicking to do this and realizing I need to go to the edit menu.

Thank you.

#2 nastrond

nastrond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:36 PM

Why not add a sort by field/arrow above the children window to allow the sorting directly there?

#3 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:48 PM

By the way, I'm usually editing from the Descendants tab rather than the Family Tab.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:52 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 05:17 PM

Could you also have a dialog box to dictate the default sort order for descendent view (such as sorting on birth date then name).

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:50 PM

Are you thinking of sorting all descendants or just the highlighted family in the descendant view?

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

just the person highlighted

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:05 PM

This area of RM needs a bigger fix. Namely, the initial placement of a new child being added to the family should be by birth date. If that were done, then users would not have to spend so much time sorting children.

I realize that Bruce doesn't want to sort children by birth date unconditionally because that would interfere with user flexibility and control. There can be infrequent but good and valid reasons for users to place children in an order other than mathematical birth date - children with multiple and conflicting birth dates, children with unproven or unreliable birth dates, children with text birth dates or no birth dates, etc. But using birth dates for automatic initial placement of children would be very helpful and productive for users without the users losing any flexibility or control. This automatic initial placement could apply not just to keyboard input but also to children who enter the system via GEDCOM or via API from FamilySearch or ancestry.com.

Beyond that (an in accord with the initial message in this thread), there are many places in RM where user productivity could benefit from additional right click dropdown options. One that I run into frequently is the lack of color coding when right clicking a person. Quick Groups is there, but not Quick Colors or even color coding at all. RM8 scares me with respect to right click because it's a common code base for PC and Macs. Apple does not deliver Macs with a two button mouse. I realize that a Mac will support a two button mouse if you add one, but my sense is that Mac users do not depend on the right click as much as do PC users.

Jerry

#9 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:54 PM

I would like all descendants sorted by birth date automatically. If no birth date then put at end of the siblings sorted by name.

#10 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:26 PM

NO!! I have family group sheets done in the 1950's on typewriter ditto sheets.  The editor of this family history had a specific order of children for several families with some missing birth dates.  She most likely had undocumented birth order information.  I would hate to destroy that birth order.

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

NO!! I have family group sheets done in the 1950's on typewriter ditto sheets.  The editor of this family history had a specific order of children for several families with some missing birth dates.  She most likely had undocumented birth order information.  I would hate to destroy that birth order.

Which is an example of why I suggested that any automatic ordering only apply to initial data entry and should not override any ordering specified by the user. And indeed to further assure user control and flexibility, any automatic ordering that applied only to initial data entry could even be an option that would not be in effect unless the user turned it on.

Jerry

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:28 AM

If you highlight the parent and use Add>Child it will give you the screen to manually adjust the order of the children when done. If you use "Click to add child" it will not give you that screen. Deciding which method you want to use to add the children can help you with the placement of them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

If you highlight the parent and use Add>Child it will give you the screen to manually adjust the order of the children when done.

If you add a bunch of children to a family this way, it's incredibly clicky. I think a better approach is an INITIAL ordering of children based on birth date, with the user being able to change the initial ordering and with the user being able to turn off this initial ordering if it does not meet the users's needs. This approach would not take away any user flexibility or control of the the ordering of the children.

Jerry

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

Confirming that has been noted on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

If you highlight the parent and use Add>Child it will give you the screen to manually adjust the order of the children when done. If you use "Click to add child" it will not give you that screen. Deciding which method you want to use to add the children can help you with the placement of them. 

I do this and it is very helpful.  However, sometimes I import children from FamilySearch and they are out of order.

#16 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:36 PM

Family Search shows the children in birth order when displayed on a parents screen. RM does not display them in birth order on the Family Search Person Tools screen. This is  probably because it is reading them in the FS database order thru the API. RM should pass them thru a sort to put them in birth order before display. This will eliminate having to go to one of the parents after moving several children from FS to RM and rearrange the children in birth order.

#17 kpfm

kpfm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:49 PM

I have the children arranged in birth order on my laptop but when I upload to the app they are out of order.  Am I doing something wrong, can it be fixed, or is this a bug?

#18 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:55 PM

There is a bug in the mobile app. It displays the children in the order in which you entered them into the system rather than in the order in which you have placed them in the desktop app.

Jerry