• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kv4evr

kv4evr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

I have been having problems after using the "blue tree" to access FamilySearch data. The mac freezes and becomes unresponsive, the only solution I have found is to resort to "Force Quit". However after using Force Quit the program will not open - the icon in the dock bounces and a black something appears in the top right corner of the icon and nothing opens. I then have to shutdown my Mac and restart.

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Running High Sierra ver 10.13.5

Most frustrating to say the least - and solutions would be appreciated.

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

Are you running the current version of RM-7.5.7 (see help>about)?

#3 kv4evr

kv4evr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:44 PM

Yes - That is the version I'm running

#4 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

Firstly,I am not a Mac user, but there have been issues reported with the Crossover wrapper http://forums.rootsm.../?hl=crossover

Second, the most common response from RM has been to do a fresh install following these instructions https://support.root...gic-on-the-Mac

This is the extent of my knowledge, hope this helps!

#5 kv4evr

kv4evr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the info - yes I read the problems with Crossover and followed their instructions for a fresh install - BUT to no vail the problem still exists.

Thanks for your efforts!

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

There is security software on your Mac, which may be keeping RootsMagic from having the access it needs to the internet, resulting in your computer freezing. The link below is to some instructions that will resolve this freezing issue. The instructions will show you how to give RM permissions to run with your security software. Scroll down the screen until you see the section. “Allowing Specific Applications”.

https://support.appl.../en-us/HT201642

Adding An Exception To the Mac Firewall

1. Open your System Preferences on your dock.
2. Click the Security or Security & Privacy icon.
3. Select the Firewall tab.
4. Click on the gold lock icon in the lower left side of the preference pane, then enter your administrator password that you set up for the Mac computer.
5. If the firewall is turned off please turn it on. We recommend that you leave the firewall on at all times. Then click on the Firewall Options button
6. Click the Add Application (+) button.
7. This will open up a screen allowing you to look for RootsMagic. Go to your Applications folder. Look for RootsMagic. When you see RootsMagic double click on it. This will add it to the firewall exceptions list for you.
8. Click Add.
9. Click OK.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 kv4evr

kv4evr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for the heads up!