5 replies to this topic

#1 swimboy

swimboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:58 AM

Hi

I've just reinstalled RM 7.0.1 onto HighSierra 10.13.4, without problems except that in the weeks that the RM was dormant I fitted an external SSD to my iMac.

I want to 'fix' all the broken media links which have been caused when I moved the .jpg files to a sub-folder on my Transcend external drive.

The usual mechanism for fixing broken links does not appear to allow me to specify the external drive, even though it is defined for media in the Settings for the program.  I get options for all-drives, A;, B: etc and Y; and Z:.  None of these choices seems willing to search on my external SSD.

Any hints will be welcome.

Thanks

David.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1356 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

In Windows I can assign a drive letter to a folder (root level or otherwise). Can you do that in High Sierra?

This article doesn't look very helpful, but I don't use a Mac, so....

https://support.appl...dskutl14027/mac

#3 swimboy

swimboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

Sorry Zhangrau - This only happens on the Mac version - somehow related to the use of Crossove, I think.

#4 swimboy

swimboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

From the OP.

I've researched the history of Broken Links and there was a comment about searching for links in a nominated folder.  I had missed this. I mis-read "A Folder as being the A: drive and did not select it.

Now I've used the "A Folder" option to point to the external drive and all is well.

My apologies if anyone has wasted time on this.

David

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1356 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:49 PM

Seems like new learning often goes in fits and jumps. No damage, glad you are back in business !!

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3061 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

Now I've used the "A Folder" option to point to the external drive and all is well.

I have noticed the awkward terminology myself, but never reported it. When I have noticed the awkward terminology, I have suspected that it could easily catch an unwary user. It probably should say something like "choose a folder" with a verb and with everything being in lower case. Or maybe even "chose a folder or a drive" would be better, because the option places you into a Windows (or Mac) File->Open dialog where you can choose any folder or drive. The way it is now, it's easy to misread it as meaning your A: drive.

Also, I generally think that it's extremely wise for users to chose the "folder" option for performance reasons. Otherwise, the Fix Broken Links process can run for hours - searching every file on your disk. Indeed, why not have the "choose a folder or disk" option be the only option. If somebody wanted to choose their entire C: drive, they could. But perhaps they might be encouraged to be a little more selective by going into the File->Open dialog.

Jerry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: media links