• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jasper2

Jasper2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:05 AM

Narative Reports : separate the genealogical classic facts from the facts of life

Hello supporters of RM,

Here are some questions I have when I publish a narrative book of my ancestors:

Here are some questions I have when I publish a narrative book of my ancestors:

I want to structure for each personn the report in a first part  "classical" genealogical information group such as birth, marriage, death at the beginning of the description (even if they have no date) and display life of the person facts (with or without dates) )  in a second part as it could be for the notes ( objective : creation of a chronicle).

It's possible ? Is there something? Thank you for your help

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:41 AM

You could do this with comprehensive, and carefully planned, use of the Sort Dates for all facts.

When you enter a Date for any fact, you'll notice that RM automatically adds a Sort Date that matches the date entered. Changing the Sort Date affects the order of display, but does not affect the output sentence for that fact. So, as an example, you could subtract 200 years from the genealogical facts (in the Sort Date only) and that will cause those events to sort to the top of the list.

But if you will find that, because RM already separates the Family facts (marriage, divorce, etc.) from the Individual facts, that what you'll end up with for each couple is something like:

-- Individual genealogical facts (those with an altered Sort Date)

-- Individual other facts

-- Family facts

-- Spouse genealogical facts

-- Spouse other facts

To accomplish this, you need to enter altered Sort Dates for all of your genealogical facts. Depending on the size of your database, that could be a mnor or major project.

#3 Jasper2

Jasper2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:14 AM

Thank's a lot Zhangrau,

It's a little tricky !

A big job because I will  convert notes to facts then I will have to do this work.

Does these sort dates will be understood by others genealogy report softwares ? I use GenoPress 2 for reports.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

Unlikely that other softwares will recognise RM's custom SortDate tag in its GEDCOM export. Do a small test with GenoPress to determine what you can get.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Jasper2

Jasper2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:38 AM

Result of test in GenoPress:

Good news : Notes from the fact are at the good place (ordonnated by the sort option).

Bad news :Description of fact stay at the original place with note number wich is not very logical.