3 replies to this topic

#1 SusieH

SusieH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

Hello

I have produced  a brilliant descendants report for an ancestor born 1741 which is great for my own use. However it includes living people and I want to exclude these so that I can share my findings with a local history society.

Unfortunately I've not used the 'living' field when keying in my data onto Roots Magic so this isn't any help, but if necessary I could revisit each person in my tree - a rather onerous task as I now have more than 8,000 people keyed onto Roots Magic

I thought that the answer would be to limit the content to all people within a time period eg 1700-1920 but this doesn't seem possible

Can someone advise me what is and isn't possible with this report. I'd love to be able to adapt my existing report to enable me to share my data within divulging data about living people.

Thanking you in anticipation

Susie H

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

The report gives you no option to privatize living people or to restrict its output other than by the number of generations. So, what you need to do is to export your database to GEDCOM with the required privatization or restrictions, import it into a new database and report therefrom. GEDCOM export gives you the options to:

• privatize "living" people by:
    • replacing their name with "Living"
    • excluding their facts
  • restrict the export to a subset of the people in the database

The "Living" flag is key to either export option. The Tools > Set Living... tool can change the Living flag to True or False for a batch of people. An even better batch solution is a SQLite script I developed - see http://sqlitetoolsfo... - Set Globally

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 SusieH

SusieH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

Tom

Thank You so much for your help and advice

It rather surprises me that Roots Magic does not take this into account

Many thanks

Sue

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:47 AM

You really should go back and set the Living flag, as appropriate. It's a very handy feature. You won't have to visit every person in your database. RM starts with the flag set by default and then turns it off if there's a death or burial fact or a birth fact before a certain date. You just need to search for people with any date before say 1900, and the Living flag set. Then use similar searches to find the rest that need to be set or unset. 

I actually follow a "belt and suspenders" approach and have a separate "Flags" fact type that I use for various purposes, including indicating alive, dead or famous. If a person might be alive, they get both the Living flag and an "L" in the Flags fact, unless they are famous, in which case the Living flag is cleared and they get a "Z" in "Flags". If they are dead but have no dates, they also get a "D" in Flags. This way I can easily double check to make sure that dead people aren't marked "Living".