• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 awwall

awwall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

Maybe this covered somewhere else in here, but I could not find an answer.  I Just purchased RM, version 7.5.7.0 and tried importing a Gedcom from a 5.5.1 file from Myheritage.  RM did not import any addresses, emails, phone numbers, notes, etc.  There has got to be something wrong, surely RM imports these things from the Gedcom.  I can supply data from the Gedcom if needed.  Here is a short snippet from my personal info.  Thanks for the help

1 RESI

2 _UID 5a0a0c4f4e70e1e7a6a6d8fc9314e82f

2 RIN MH:IF13

2 TYPE EMAIL

2 EMAIL awwall@@xxxxxxx.xxx

1 RESI

2 _UID 5a0b65e05f8441e7a6a7d8fc9314e82f

2 RIN MH:IF899

2 TYPE ADDR

2 ADDR 13352 xxxxxx

3 ADR1 13352 xxxxxx

3 CITY xxxxxx

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:53 PM

GEDCOM has many interpretations. It's a language with many dialects and translated between different database structures. Consequently, a data transfer between foreign systems via GEDCOM is potentially lossy for anything other than the most basic features.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:16 PM

I wonder if the address info was, in fact, imported.

Go to an Edit Person screen, then select the [Address] button (4th from the left). Is the address there?

#4 awwall

awwall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

thanks for the replies....No there is nothing in the address when selected.  It imported my pictures and other stuff, but looks like it totally ignored all of the address, email, and other info.  I made a simple (new) tree and exported a Gedcom from RM and it looks just like my example above.  It exported the address and email with no problem.  I am at a total loss.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

I'm not surprised. The MH export includes tag types under the RESI tag that RM ignores because it considers the RESI tag as an Event, expecting only DATE, PLAC, NOTE, SOUR, OBJE tags, more or less. Whether the MH export is a valid GEDCOM construct... KCN?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:47 AM

I assume what you want is for these RESI tags to be converted into RM's Address fields for a person. I don't know if that is possible without major manipulation of the GEDCOM (I doubt that it is a minor thing like changing RESI to ADDR). You could try filling out the Address form for a person in RM and exporting that person to see how its export compares with MH's.