4 replies to this topic

#1 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

Wondering what is supposed to happen when I merge 2 places that each have additional place details.

If I have #1: Anytown, USA with a place detail of Protestant Church

And also #2: Anitoun, USA with a place detail of Fred's House

When I merge #2 into #1, I think I end up with Anytown, USA which has both of the 2 different place details in it.

That's OK, good even, but what about the events that had previously used those places and place details?

The event that previously happened at Anitoun, USA details Fred's House .... should it now be Anytown, USA details Fred's House?

I'm asking because I'm not sure it has done that correctly for me and I'm wondering if it is my testing or a bug or misunderstand functionality.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2931 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

The event that previously happened at Anitoun, USA details Fred's House .... should it now be Anytown, USA details Fred's House?

I haven't tested this in a long time, but to the best of my knowledge, the answer is yes. What are you getting instead?

Jerry

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:25 AM

Wondering what is supposed to happen when I merge 2 places that each have additional place details.

Merging two places will combine all Place Details of both Places into merged Place which may result in duplicate Place Details requiring further merge.

I am not aware of real issues and I use this a lot, if both Places have Notes which are different they will be appended, if they are identical they will not.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:24 PM

OK, sounds like it works the way I hoped it would.

I just need to pay a little more attention to the cases I tried that seemed to not behave correctly.

No details to report of a problem, yet.

Let's close this issue here.

Thanks to both of you.

#5 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:42 PM

Based on the advise of the two fine gentlemen that commented earlier I have done extensive merging of places and place details. I've found that using DataClean, Places first tidies up the names in a more "bulk" fashion and makes the resultant merge easier. It's quicker to clean the places and place details using DataClean than to individually use the Split Place Details on the Place List. I admit I would have never figured out how to merge place details without their assistance.