5 replies to this topic

#1 reedkickball

reedkickball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:33 PM

Hi,

I'm new to Rootmagic, I've used pretty complicated pieces of software before, like "Ultimate Family Tree" and "Master Genealogist".  Both have been discontinued.  So I've decided to use Rootsmagic, hoping that it is more mainstream, and less likely to get discontinued.  

One issue that I have with Rootsmagic is with the Gazetteer.  I like the ability to "quick pick" a location, however the locations that I pick aren't in the local language, or in English.  So the picklist isn't helpful for a lot of the places that I search.  I also only reference places by their historical name, not their current name.  So again, the Gazetteer doesn't help  

So, I would like to be able to add my own locations into the Gazetteer.  I don't care about the "places list", because the data in the "places list" isn't offered as an option when you click on the search button in the Place field.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:58 PM

Go to an Edit Person window, and select any fact/event.

Now look in the right-hand pane, second line from the top.

There are two icons:

- click on the magnifying glass to go to the Gazetteer

- click on the blue & green world to go to the Place List

Unlike your comment above, I very much prefer the Place List to the Gazetteer or County Check, because I find the so-called standardized method of leaving out key terms such as "county" or "parish" to be confusing. 

But that's personal choice, and one of the strengths of RootsMagic is that there are many elements of the program that allow flexibility for different users' habits.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:38 AM

There are two icons:

- click on the magnifying glass to go to the Gazetteer

- click on the blue & green world to go to the Place List

Zhangrau is correct and in Place List you are free to build your own custom list on Places in whatever language or format you prefer. However, you will appreciate the importance of Places outside of your own preference when it comes to matching records with others and online services, they are vital.

I work to geocode all my Places and Place Details in the hope more emphasis will be placed on the latitude and longitude in future rather than the user’s text preference of noting the Place. If you send the co-ordinates off to online mapping the result that comes back varies depending on your country and language in many cases, reverse geocoding.

Also when you edit any Place you will see there are three Place fields at present, there have been suggestions there should be at least one more for Historical Place and maybe that could be further extended to cater for local languages

There has been much discussion on this subject over the years and I am sure Rootsmagic would welcome your take on improvements either here or on the wish list.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2931 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

So, I would like to be able to add my own locations into the Gazetteer.  I don't care about the "places list", because the data in the "places list" isn't offered as an option when you click on the search button in the Place field.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

It strikes me as extremely unlikely that RM will ever support adding locations into the Gazetteer. But you already have total control over the data that's in your Place List. So I wonder if your need could be met by a change in the RM user interface whereby the data in your Place List could be offered as an option when you click on the Search button in the Place field. I think such a change could be a good enhancement.

Actually, RM could already be said to include this enhancement. Namely, just start typing into the Place Name field in the Edit Person screen as you are adding a fact. To the extent that what you are typing matches what is already in your Place List (not the Gazetteer), you will see a drop down menu with the matches. You can select your match, and your need is met. Problem solved, and the feature already exists.

Many RM lists work in the way I just described. But having described the way RM lists already work to meet your need, I have to say that I find the "just start typing" way of looking things up to be very unsatisfactory and unsettling - like the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard for those of you old enough to know what that sounds like. On its face, the "just start typing" way of searching sounds great and I ought to love it. So I figure that my distaste for it must represent some kind of major character flaw on my part. Even so, I wish that all of RM's lists had a true search and filter capability. If they did, then your request would already be satisfied.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

I'm with you, Jerry. Support for wildcards is needed and that's unavailable with autocomplete.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:16 PM

FTR, I'm with both of you for filtering and wildcards, I fighting to tidy Places within Rootsmagic as we speak to reaffirm my thoughts on the functionality.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gazetteer