• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ghostpom12

ghostpom12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:19 AM

I understand that RootsMagic now syncs with Ancestry. Can anyone tell me if it also syncs WebLinks? Anything it doesn't do? Things you are impressed with? And can anyone tell me how it's working for them overall? FTM is no longer syncing WebLinks and is down almost every day now. I am thinking about making the switch but would like to hear from people who actually did it first. Thanks!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5900 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:47 AM

RootsMagic does not sync with an Ancestry Tree the way FTM does. Its TreeShare function can copy an entire Ancestry tree to a new RM database or copy a RM database to a new AMT. After that, it compares the AMT and database, flags differences and allows updates in either direction for only one person at a time.

RM TreeShare is affected by Ancestry's disrupted service. It uses the same Application Program Interface and servers as by FTM. It's possible that it is less vulnerable to corruption because of the 1-person update process but the compare process has to fetch data from the whole tree.

WebLinks: not sure of the answer but if FTM2017 did get them and now does not, that suggests an Ancestry fault that should also apply to RM.

I am not a big fan nor user of TreeShare. The Ancestry API made the RM developers jump through hoops because the RM database structure is different and the API is very restrictive.

I would suggest you try RM Essentials for free and see if you can get your head around its user interface. The UI is very different from FTM so that may be your first hurdle.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.