1 reply to this topic

#1 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:08 PM

Right now when you click on the Sources Tab in FamilySearch Person Tools the left pane shows you the sources in RM and the right pane shows those in FS and you can copy from one to the other. That's great. The Sources shown are organized/sorted by Source Title then Event that it is applied to. One thing that makes it hard to do is know whether or not you have any sources applied to a particular one of your events. But here are 3 suggestions to make that whole task more "efficient".

Organize the lists on both sides by Event THEN by Source Title. So I would see a list on the left of all of the RM events I have for this person and indented under that a list of the Source Titles that have been applied to each Event. If there were no Sources yet applied to an Event I could see that. That's #1. #2 is even sweeter ... use drag and drop. Click on the Source in one pane and drag and drop it to the other pane and that would apply THAT Source Title to THAT Event. And #3 - make it possible to drag a Source to a "new" Event, one that does not yet exist in RM or (if this makes sense) in FS,

Some details - since RM can have multiple birth or death or marriage or ... events, the list on the left under RM needs to not just say Birth, but actually say Birth - date - place. And if you click on the Event line (instead of on one of the Sources under it) you get to edit the Event ... change the date or place and (if this makes sense) change the Event type. I have lots of Residence events imported from FS that really should be Census events and I have to go back after the fact and correct those one-by-one.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7847 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

The issue I see with this method is not knowing if you have more than one source by the same name. If you add a source from FamilySearch into RM and add it only to the one event and then go back add it to another fact you will end up having multiple master sources in the Source List with the same name. You would have to scan all those facts to see what is using the same source citations. That is why you are seeing the Sources citations and then given the option where to add it in RM by checking each of those boxes. 

#3 you need the fact before you can add a source. You can either add the fact on the Share Data tab if it is there or click on the "Edit RootsMagic person" button if you need to make one first. 

Some details - since RM can have multiple birth or death or marriage or ... events, the list on the left under RM needs to not just say Birth, but actually say Birth - date - place. And if you click on the Event line (instead of on one of the Sources under it) you get to edit the Event ... change the date or place and (if this makes sense) change the Event type. I have lots of Residence events imported from FS that really should be Census events and I have to go back after the fact and correct those one-by-one.

Adding the first part of this on the enhancement request list. The second half you can edit the RM fact by clicking the "Edit RootsMagic Person" button on the Share Data tab. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that source are not really connected to facts on FamilySearch, they are only tags. Anyone can modify the fact and the source remains, even if they deleted the fact on FamilySearch. On FamilySearch you can only tag basic fact types: Name, Sex, Birth, Christening, Death, Burial. The Residence fact for the census doesn't have an option to tag. For this reason there isn't anyway for us to match FamilySearch sources by facts to have them line up. 

Renee
RootsMagic