7 replies to this topic

#1 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

When selecting individuals for a report is there a way to select a range of people (i.e. select everyone whose last name starts with A, B or C). I tried clicking on the first individual and then on the last individual while holding down the the Shift or the Ctrl key but nothing seems to work. What I am trying to do is to generate the Individual Summary report for a range of people. I can't produce this report for everyone as I end up with an Out of Memory error (even though I have 12 GB of RAM).

Thanks,

Joyce

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

To get all surnames that begin with A create a group.

Surname  is greater than A

Surname is less than B

Surname is not blank

On Individual Summary Report select the Group under People to Include

#3 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:03 PM

To get all surnames that begin with A create a group.

Surname  is greater than A

Surname is less than B

Surname is not blank

On Individual Summary Report select the Group under People to Include

Thanks Bob. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to go creating groups or colour-coding individuals just in order to generate a report. I would have thought that selecting multiple individuals would have been a relatively easy thing to do. Not so in RM.

Joyce

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

If the report has the "People to include" parameter, you can use the "Select people from a list" choice just as you would were you to group or colour code them.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:09 AM

If the report has the "People to include" parameter, you can use the "Select people from a list" choice just as you would were you to group or colour code them.

Thanks Tom but using your method you have to select each person one click at a time. With say, 400-500 people in a range, that is not workable.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2935 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:35 AM

Thanks Tom but using your method you have to select each person one click at a time. With say, 400-500 people in a range, that is not workable.

If there is a "People to include" parameter, you pick the people the same way you do with color coding or making a group. If there is some sort of generic criterion such as "everybody whose surname starts with B" then you usually don't have to click them one at a time. You use the generic criterion again.

The advantage of a group as opposed to making the selection when you run the report is that you can use the group again when you run the report again, which inevitably happens.

Jerry

#7 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:59 AM

Just as a followup. I had to create a number of groups because my database is too large to choose the option "select everyone in the database". If I select this option, I run into an "out of memory" error. When generating large reports such as the Individual Summary for everyone, maybe the program should not try to create the complete report in memory but possibly create a temporary file while processing the individuals and then give the user the option to save/view the report once it is done.

Joyce

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2935 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

. I can't produce this report for everyone as I end up with an Out of Memory error (even though I have 12 GB of RAM).

Probably because RM is a 32 bit program and can't use all that RAM. As far as RM is concerned, you might as well have had just 4 GB RAM.  (However, from an overall system performance point of view, more RAM is always better.)

Hopefully, RM 8 will be a 64 bit program.

Jerry