2 replies to this topic

#1 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:13 AM

I have several sources that I would like to add two fields to the source detail. Will this cause a problem if I just add them?

Thanks

Roger

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

Adding fields to the Source detail must be done to the underlying Source Template. Since we cannot edit the built-in Source Templates, you will need to add your additional fields to either a copy of one of the built-in templates, or to a new template of your own design and making. That's what I did when I added Repositories to a Source Template. See: http://forums.rootsm...ource +template

If you are adding your new fields to a pre-existing, but not built-in, template, you can expect no problems. But you should be aware that those changes will NOT automatically take effect to all Master Sources based on the revised template. You must actually open an Edit window for EACH of those pre-existing Master Sources in order to get the new fields to appear in that Master Source. And once you've opened that Edit window, you can add the new data that your new fields are designed to contain.

#3 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:33 AM

Thanks I have tried on a test database and it seems to be working OK so far. I have  only one source template that I use so it was easy to just change it and all of the others were changed.

Thanks

Roger