• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maurekey

maurekey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

Please add Dates to the Search and Replace feature, will make it so much easier when you have combined a database from someone else to change, "dead" to "unknown", "<>" to about, to add "unknown to death field with no death date etc.etc.etc. I am currently untangling a file of over 10,000 people unless everything matches impossible to do an accurate merge so have to correct reach entry manually. being ably to mass correct would be wonderful.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1566 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:16 AM

Try Search everything with month and year.  It brought up who had it and then go to the person.    My ? on Dead a word in the date fill in box  or a fact type. Search & Replace only checks the fact type.   If in the fill in box in a fact type then search and replace in my thinking should work.   Maybe RM's doesn't... 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

Please add Dates to the Search and Replace feature, will make it so much easier when you have combined a database from someone else to change, "dead" to "unknown", "<>" to about, to add "unknown to death field with no death date etc.etc.etc. I am currently untangling a file of over 10,000 people unless everything matches impossible to do an accurate merge so have to correct reach entry manually. being ably to mass correct would be wonderful.

I can't see you getting support for this as Rootsmagic will hardly support placing non standard information into any database field. If you type unknown into the date field you will see the background colour change to warn you it is not a recognizable format so leave it blank or use a recognized approximate format.

Unrecognized formats become text entries in the database and can be search for to correct. However they are useless for any calculation or date sorting as such an entry could be anywhere from the beginning of time to present day.

I always enter at least an approximated birth year based on the best information I have to hand, that puts the person in the historical timeline. I would leave the death date and place blank unless I had better information, for example if I came across a marriage of a child where the parent was noted as deceased or a census where a partner was noted as widow(er) then I would enter a death date BEF and the date of that document.

Refining dates is part of everyone's research but TEXT dates are useless in research and I would encourage you to avoid them, someday you will come to regret their use. I still tackle the clean up of TEXT dates from time to time and where I hope you would receive support is for a DateClean utility within RM.

Open the RM help file by pressing F1 or under the Help menu and search for "Date formats"

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

If you are trying to find and correct text dates in your database do the following which is not so obvious;

Select Lists > Fact Type List > Print and change the dropdown to Facts with text dates.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root