• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 maurekey

maurekey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:34 PM

Instead of having the Folder Option under Program Options it needs to be under File Options. If you are doing work on several families and/or like to have each family/family group in it's own folder having to constantly manually change the settings when you switch to a different family is annoying. Even more annoying is when you forget and the family gets put in the wrong folder and you have to go searching then straighten the mess out.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3060 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

Folder options as a file option has been asked for before. To the best of my recollection, it was rejected because there is a chicken and egg problem - how does RM know where to look for the database file if folders are a file option? Nevertheless, I support your wish in the following sense. There are five folder options. I think the folder option for databases has to remain as a program option because of the aforementioned chicken and egg problem. But I think the other four folder options can and ought to be file options.

Let me elaborate a little further. I've already discussed the folder options for databases. I think the other four folder options can be divided into two categories, - folders for media and folders for backup, reports, and GEDCOM. I think the folder option settings for backup, reports, and GEDCOM are important and that it makes more sense for them to be file options than program options. I'm a sample size of one, but the folder option for media is almost irrelevant for my own use of RM. That's because my media is stored in lots of sub-folders. They are organized in a way that makes a great deal of sense to me, even if it might not make any sense to anybody else. Therefore, when I link a new media file into RM, I have to navigate to it anyway instead of using the folder option for media. RM's folder option for media therefore is of little to no benefit for my use of RM.

Here is another feature of RM that can disturb your use of files when you are using RM. I'm not sure of all the circumstances, but sometimes RM ignores your folder options entirely and instead goes to the most recent folder you opened. Depending on exactly what you are doing, this can actually be much more useful than using the folder options, but I do wish that it was more consistent.

Jerry