3 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

Various sites accept different levels of detail. It looks like GEDmatch.com only copies birth, death and maybe marriage fields. Everything else is ignored. It seems pointless to create a GEDCOM that has dozens of facts that GEDmatch just ignores. It's difficult to go through all the facts to turn GEDCOM export off or on. I'd like to suggest that RM could implement multiple user-defined GEDCOM "profiles". There might be one profile for backup, which copies all facts. Another for GEDmatch would copy only the minimal facts. And so forth.

I have no idea how this might be implemented. I'm just suggesting it. 

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3060 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:11 PM

This kind of facility is very much needed and I very much support your suggestion.

There is a complication that needs to be taken into account. Namely, the current RM design conflates its one and only "profile" for sentence templates with its one and only "profile" for GEDCOM export. For example, the Fact Type entry for the Birth fact defines how birth sentences should look in reports and also defines the conditions under which the birth fact should be output in different media such as GEDCOM, narrative reports, etc. So if you change this design (and it does need to be changed!), you need to take everything into account in the design of a "profile" system, not just GEDCOM.

When I have talked about this situation, I have talked about it primarily in terms of sentence templates and I  have used the term "styles" rather than "profiles", but it amounts to the same thing. In my view, the sentence templates could be set up so that there would be a Terse style or a Verbose style or a Point Form style or an English style or a French style or a German style etc. The same sort of thing is obviously needed for GEDCOM export, and whether it is called a profile or a style makes no difference. However, the options for GEDCOM should probably be separated from the options for sentence templates instead of remaining conflated as they are now.

Jerry

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:55 AM

This kind of facility is very much needed and I very much support your suggestion.

I also support this suggestion.

The simple one which frequently pops up is that Fact Type restrictions should not be applied in Drag&Drop as you are essentially exchanging information with yourself and would not wish to lose or drop anything.

I have many fact types marked Private via SQL for the purposes of TreeShare interaction, I have read many objections to the present "share everything" method so Dons idea of sharing profiles would be well received by those who wished to remain in control, IMO.

If one accepts second best then quite often that's just what one will receive

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7921 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic