I believe this may be variation of the “One Database” theme but I haven’t found any topics that cover my particular concept.
I have one database not only with my and my wife’s family but with the families of siblings, cousins etc.
When I started, I contacted lots of people and added their data to the tree (and shared how they fitted into the overall scheme of things). Now with 2900 names, I need to tidy things up and simplify the views and reports from RootsMagic.
Firstly, an Ancestor View clearly shows the picture of a person’s ancestors but a descendant view is obscured by all the siblings and their families of the one ancestor. I’m reluctant to discard all this extra data and wanted to avoid using groups or colours.
Here is an idea I wanted to bounce off the forum.
As an example, Samuel Smith who was married to Rebecca COMMINS. They had the following children:
1 Elizabeth (Betsey) SMITH, born 1818, Gt Oakley, Essex; married Charles JOSSELYN, 18 Sep 1842, Dovercourt, Essex; died 22 Oct 1849, Dovercourt, Essex.
2 Samuel SMITH, born 1819, Gt Oakley, Essex; married Maria HARMON, 13 Sep 1840, Dovercourt, Essex; married Eliza SIDER, 17 Aug 1856, Harwich, Essex.
3 William SMITH, born 19 Sep 1823, Dovercourt, Essex; married Sarah KEABEL , 20 Nov 1845, Dovercourt, Essex.
Of these children, Samuel SMITH b1819 is the blood line. The other two children and their spouses/children cause the “descendant view to be obscured”
I did the following:
- Unlinked Charles JOSSELYN from Elizabeth (Betsey) SMITH.
- Checked that I now had 2 trees in the database; my Main Tree and a new “Josselyn b1842” tree.
- Added just the name and marriage data of Charles JOSSELYN back into Elizabeth Smith’s record in my MAIN tree.
- Added a note to the Marriage Fact for Elizabeth (Betsey) SMITH saying “For details of Charles JOSSELYN, refer to separate “Josselyn b1842” tree
- Added just the name and marriage data of Elizabeth Smith to Charles JOSSELYN in the new “Josselyn b1842” tree.
- Added a note to the Marriage Fact for Charles JOSSELYN saying “For details of Elizabeth (Betsey) SMITH b1818 refer to separate “MAIN” tree (really the main database).
- Repeated the exercise a) – f) for William SMITH b1823 and Sarah KEABEL b1845.
I now had 3 trees in the Database.
I saw that in the “Sidebar” view of names in the database and with birth year and Record Number (RN) showing. I had two entries for Elizabeth (Betsey) SMITH b1881 RN603 and Elizabeth (Betsey) SMITH b1881 RN2915.
Clicking on RN2915 showed the tree with Elizabeth Smith married but without parents and on RN603 showed Elizabeth married without children.
Using this Sidebar/RN view, I could instantly know which “sub-set records of the overall database I was working on”.
I can see immediately that I had more names in the database but that is not a worry.
The outcome is that the descendant tree and reports, are now much cleaner, easier to read and, for novice family members to understand.
With just 2 names done, I can see an automated route for rest of just the “Smith” family by cutting and pasting from Narrative Text reports.
I will await Forum Members comments before moving further!