3 replies to this topic

#1 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

Does anyone have suggestions on how to make my RootsMagic website compliant with GDPR?

#2 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

Are you sharing PII (Personally Identifiable Information) for living people on your web site? If so you need to provide a means for those people to have their data deleted. You also need to document what are are doing with PII on a privacy policy page. If you are not using PII to market to living people, displaying PII, or sharing PII with 3rd parties you don't have to do anything.

#3 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

I use a group filter to hide people in a group I've created that contains a lot of known living cousins and their descendants.

In addition, I am using the following settings:

Check - Privatize Living

Show living names as "living"

Show living facts as - don't print facts

Thus, I'm trying to make sure that information for living individuals is not displayed.

Do I need to create a 'privacy page' that states this?

#4 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:40 AM

First off remember that there are no GDPR regulators sweeping through web sites looking for violations. An EU citizen or non-profit will need to contact you (or have already contacted you) and asked for details about your data and what you do with it, or asked to have data about themselves removed or changed and you failed to respond. So it's long odds and I would not shut down your site or anything drastic.

To be completely safe you could have a privacy policy that states how you got your data, what you do with it (i.e. what you said about living people), who you share it with, and how to contact you for corrections and/or removal. 

Now it would be really cool if RM would have a boilerplate page you could tweak, since the ways we all get out data, process it, and share it are pretty common.