Photo

Irish place names: Does anyone else have an issue?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

Does anyone else have an issue finding Irish place names in the gazetteer? I'm trying to find "Cappaclogh, Kilgobban, Kerry, Ireland". As close as I can get is County Kerry. Google Maps has no problem. I tried the Irish spelling of "Cill Ghobáin" with no luck. Wikipedia lists "Kilgobban" as a civil parish in county Kerry. Just how does RM standardize places in Ireland?

#2 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

There are two townlands named Cappaclogh in county Kerry - Cappaclogh East and Cappclogh West. They border each other, and  both are in the civil parish of Kilgobban.  On its own, the name Cappaclogh could refer to either of them - so I don't see how it can be standardised!

Check out the site www.townlands.ie - it's an OpenStreetMaps initiative, and includes geocoding. Another very useful site is www.logainm.ie

I don't find RootsMagic very good for Irish placenames and so use these sites a lot.

Fíona Tipple

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3055 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Agree with ftipple, townlands.ie where you can explore the possibilities and even screen capture a townland or parish map.

There are 65K townlands in Ireland, they are more reliable land definitions than parish boundaries but very difficult to standardize. I do have to mention RM's current Gazetteer is quite lacking, the large market town of Portadown, Armagh is not in there, never mind Townlands.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root