• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mcmcavoy@gmail.com

mcmcavoy@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:15 PM

This may be a novice question but I cannot find this specific answer in help forums. If an RM database is linked to FamilySearch, can it then be linked to an ancestry tree so that they are all kept synchronized? Will a change in any one repository be sent to the others when they are updated? If so, is it possible to also synchronize the source and images?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7761 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:25 AM

Both features are independent of each other. You are not syncing by sharing information. When you open the FamilySearch or Ancestry tools you can share data back and forth to keep the database and the website current. 

The Ancestry API allows the sharing of sources and images.

The FamilySearch Person Tools will require you to go to the Sources tab to add the sources back and forth. They do not automatically come into RM when you add a person.  The Memories portion of Family Tree has not been added to RM yet. You would need to upload images on the website for now. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 mcmcavoy@gmail.com

mcmcavoy@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

Thank you for your response. I would still like to know if the same RM file can be linked to both FamilySearch and Ancestry without causing problems of dulicated ancestors, etc. I am still learning the tasks required for sources and other sharing as it relates to both FS and Ancestry.

For example, can a source come over from ancestry and then be sent to FS by using the sources tab without reentry of the data?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7761 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

Yes, since they use separate tools and don't effect each other you can work with any provider's API inside of RM. That means FamilySearch, Ancestry and the other WebHint providers. 

You select which information you want to add and share with FamilySearch and Ancestry.

Renee
RootsMagic