• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rlmobley

rlmobley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

I have details in my RootsMagic ver 7 that I would like to transfer to FamilySearch. For instance, in the Residence for 1900 I put the township in the details area, and the county, state, country in the place. When I click on the square on RM, the Fact Details window opens up and shows Residence, Date, Place all filled in, but the Detail is blank.

Suggestions?

Rick

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:06 PM

FamilySearch doesn't have a Place Detail field and they really don't want them in the Place field. I add them to the reason field.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 rlmobley

rlmobley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

I must admit that I am new to RW and FamilySearch so tell me why I see a "Detail:" when I click on the blue "I" on the right hand side of RW, which pops up with Family Search Fact Details?

RW suggests I put city, county, state, country on the Place box and put specific details, like cemetery, township, etc. in the Details box. But what I'm seeing on FamilySearch is that more often, they put it all in the "Place" field.

I guess I expected RW would add the Details in front of Place like it shows in several boxes in RW.

I've done lots of research but am new with RW, having used Reunion, Brothers Keeper, FTW and a few others over the years.

Thank you for your comments, I do appreciate discussions and look forward to participating in the forums.

Rick

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

But what I'm seeing on FamilySearch is that more often, they put it all in the "Place" field.

The "they" that puts details into the Place field on FamilySearch is not FamilySearch itself. Rather, it's FamilySearch users. There is nothing in FamilySearch that prevents users from doing so, but there are things in FamilySearch that certainly can discourage users from doing so. Users do it anyway on a regular basis. In any case, Renee is correct that FamilySearch really doesn't want the details in the Place field. 

Regular readers of these forums will already know that I consider the ways that FamilySearch handles Places to be extremely irrational. Therefore, I won't dwell once again on all the problems with Places on FamilySearch. Instead, I will point out that FamilySearch actually stores two versions of each place. One version is the way the user entered it and the other version is a standardized version. It's not clear to me what all FamilySearch actually does with the two versions of the Place nor what plans FamilySearch has for the two versions of the Place in the future.

Also, RM actually can store not two but three versions of each place you enter. The first and most obvious is the way you enter the Place. The County Check feature will hassle you if you enter what it considers to be non-standard places, but you can turn County Check off or leave County Check turned on and ignore it. In addition RM can store a standardized version of the Place you entered, and RM can store an abbreviated version of the Place you entered. I don't like and don't user the standardized or abbreviated versions, so I don't really know what all you can do with them now in RM or what you might be able to do with them in future versions of RM.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

I must admit that I am new to RW and FamilySearch so tell me why I see a "Detail:" when I click on the blue "I" on the right hand side of RW, which pops up with Family Search Fact Details?

The FamilySearch Fact Details screen will show you the fact type, date, place and detail. On the Detail there is no way to fill them out in the FT API.  The section only appears if you are creating a custom fact on the FamilySearch website. You can add the details about the new fact type you are creating. When that information is included you will see text in the Detail field.  If you add that custom fact to RM the detail field on FSFT becomes the description field in RM. 

The extra information you can send to Family Tree in the FT API is the reason statement. That is why I use it to send the place detail information.

P.S.  RootsMagic is abbreviated as RM. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 rlmobley

rlmobley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:55 PM

Thanks to all for the great information.

I will continue to learn this new software as I go along.

My next important feat is to get my directory structure laid out to store all of this data.

My internet searches hasn't really turned up any two in agreement. Is there a section of the forum to discuss that? If so, I'll move there so as not to cloud this issue.

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

Regarding directory (or folder) structures:

I've been using computers since the early 1980's, so I've used a lot of different operating systems. The file management has gone from allowing only 8-character filenames to allowing 32-character filenames, to today's"long filenames" which appear almost unlimited -- until you bump up against the limits.

Look at this example filename:

E:\RootsMagic\multimedia\photographs\aunt-sally-at-johnnys-picnic_1984.jpeg

Counting every character, this is 75 characters long. The current Windows limit is 264 characters (if I remember correctly). Notice that includes the drive name, the full path name, the filename, and the extension.

This could be readily shortened to:

E:\RM\media\photos\aunt-sally-at-johnnys-picnic_1984.jpg

And now it is only 56 characters long.

I use a system that would be described as wide, but not deep. That is, I have nearly 80 different sub-folders under "media" -- birth, death, marriage, yada-yada-yada....

One of those sub-folders is "census", which has nearly 55 sub-folders (one for each census year that I am tracking).

None of my media paths have more than 3 sub-levels, and I keep each folder name as short as possible (maybe 15 characters or so for the long folder names). That leaves all of the remaining 264 characters to be used as descriptive file names.

Consider this:

drive + top level + 3 sub-levels = about 60-70 characters. That means I could have descriptive filenames up to about 190 characters without bumping into the Windows limit, and, in practice, I think my longest filenames are about HALF of that.

So what happens if you violate the 264 character limit?

Your file may actually exist, but won't be visible in typical Windows dialog boxes (such as the Open and Save dialogs). That can be scary. I once helped a friend who thought he had somehow lost a whole group of files when he was re-arranging his hard drive. As a reasonably-experienced computer user, but not of a techie mindbend, he was befuddled. It turned out that he had violated the Windows 264-character limit by creating a file organization that was deep, rather than wide. He had as many as nine (maybe more) levels, and then used longish filenames to help him remember what was what. It made a lot of sense to him. We solved his problem by shortening the names of the sub-level folders, thereby getting his longest total path length inside the limit.

Food for thought, eh?

By the way, once upon a time, there was a limit to the number of files that could be stored in a single folder. It was about 500 files. Trying to save one more file resulted in lost work. Yep, not saved anywhere. Yikes.

I just checked, and my Births sub-folder has over 3700 files, and no losses. So that's a good thing, eh?