• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alphalima47

alphalima47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:11 AM

Using RM v. 7.5.6.0 on Win 10 and having trouble exporting wallcharts for printing.

Export to BMP saves them with Greek pix.
Export to EMF saves them with high-def pix into Paint but that's not read-only so any cursor click will produce lines and squiggles on the image.
Export to JPG, PCX, PNG, PGA produces the error message "RMC_EXP.BMP contains an invalid path"
I've reinstalled, no different.

I would like at least to be able to export to JPG so I get the high-def pix but the chart is not corruptible by accidental cursor movements.

There is a two-stage workaround: Export to EMF then Save the EMF as a JPG but I shouldn't have to do that. Where am I going wrong, please ?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:38 AM

Export to JPG, PCX, PNG, PGA produces the error message "RMC_EXP.BMP contains an invalid path"

Where are you saving the wall chat on the computer?  If your saving as a JPG it shouldn't have .BMP in the name. See if removing that extra extension helps. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3368 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:52 PM

Export to BMP saves them with Greek pix.

Not sure what you mean by "Greek pix"? It works fine!

Export to EMF saves them with high-def pix into Paint but that's not read-only so any cursor click will produce lines and squiggles on the image.

RootsMagic FIRST saves the file. Then, it opens the Windows-associated program for viewing each file-type. My .EMF viewer is XnView. Even if it opens into Paint and clicking on it produces lines and squiggles... as long as YOU do not do a SAVE file operation, then the file RootsMagic saved earlier remains intact.

I'm unable to reproduce this. All formats work as advertised.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 alphalima47

alphalima47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:01 AM

Where are you saving the wall chat on the computer?  If your saving as a JPG it shouldn't have .BMP in the name. See if removing that extra extension helps. 

I generate a Wall Chart in RM then File/Export it to Andrew>Documents>ROOTSMAGIC>Reports.  I don't know where the .BMP extn comes in.  If I Export as an *emf file and open it with XnView the photos are extremely low-resolution 'Greek' pictures. If I open the emf file in Paint they are high-resolution.  I can then do a Save As from Paint to save in PNG or JPG format, keeping the high-res pix. What I can't do is Export directly to PNG or JPG from the generated chart in the Reports folder.

#5 alphalima47

alphalima47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:10 AM

Not sure what you mean by "Greek pix"? It works fine!

RootsMagic FIRST saves the file. Then, it opens the Windows-associated program for viewing each file-type. My .EMF viewer is XnView. Even if it opens into Paint and clicking on it produces lines and squiggles... as long as YOU do not do a SAVE file operation, then the file RootsMagic saved earlier remains intact.

I'm unable to reproduce this. All formats work as advertised.

Greek or 'greeked' pictures is an old DTP term for extremely-low resolution pix used in schematic layouts. They're similar to the ones RM produces (with red squiggles) before the Export process. No offence intended to any Greek readers (να τα εκατοστήσετε = may you live to be 100). I tried XnView but that opens the chart with Greek pix.  See my reply to Renee Zamora above for more about what I'm doing and where I'm going wrong...

#6 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:21 AM

You must be using the hourglass chart. I get the same pixelation on .emf, .bmp, .png and .jpg for this report and not on box chart. It appears as if RM is using thumbnails rather than resizing the high rez picture. Its a Bug!

When you open file>export there is a drop down by the file type that you use to select the format, .emf, .bmp, .jpg, etc. I have no problems using this to select .jpg or .png to save.

RM does not save any files as read only unless their properties by definition makes the uneditable, eg .pdf. Photo editing programs read the file properties on open and if they are not set as read only before open, they are editable. To make the uneditable you must change them to read only outside of RM (Windows File Explorer can do this).

Charts has been a weak part of RM since its introduction and the hourglass report was released as an update to RM7. They have stated that it was to be rewritten as a part of RM8.

All my testing was done with Irfanview, a free photo editor that has more capabilities than Paint, (more like Photoshop) and verified with Paint.

Bob

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3368 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:11 AM

Greek or 'greeked' pictures is an old DTP term for extremely-low resolution pix used in schematic layouts. They're similar to the ones RM produces (with red squiggles) before the Export process. No offence intended to any Greek readers (να τα εκατοστήσετε = may you live to be 100). I tried XnView but that opens the chart with Greek pix.  See my reply to Renee Zamora above for more about what I'm doing and where I'm going wrong...

OK, I looked closer and XnView no longer displays .EMF's correctly, like Paint does. (I guess due to recent updates?)

If you have Microsoft Powerpoint, here's an exercise in the power of .EMF files:

http://forums.rootsm...-chart/?p=86345

List of programs that can open .emf files:

http://extension.nirsoft.net/emf

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N