• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 popmorgangd

popmorgangd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

I keep my master family tree on Rootsmagic.

I like to keep my Ancestry tree in sync so I use Treeshare.

BUT - I find it very slow and awkward when there are lots of changes.

So, I think, why not just delete the Ancestry tree and upload the latest version from RM? 

Is there any major downside to using this approach?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2984 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

The only downside is that if you are using RM's WebHints with ancestry, your approvals of the WebHints will be lost. The WebHints will still be there (or more correctly, will be re-created), but they will no longer be approved. You will have to approve them again.

Jerry

#3 popmorgangd

popmorgangd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

Thank you Gerry.

#4 mikelevoi

mikelevoi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:31 PM

Hello Experts,

I use RM7 the other way around - main tree on Ancestry - all changes made on Ancestry UK - then tree share down to RM7 on laptop. As we all know, it is very time consuming to keep the RM7 tree in sync when many changes have been made on Ancestry as each change has to be accepted one at a time. Is it possible for the process to be automated in the same way that FTM allows bulk changes to be accepted with one click? It would be great if this change is in the works!

Many thanks,

Mike

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:22 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2984 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

I use RM7 the other way around - main tree on Ancestry - all changes made on Ancestry UK - then tree share down to RM7 on laptop. As we all know, it is very time consuming to keep the RM7 tree in sync when many changes have been made on Ancestry as each change has to be accepted one at a time. Is it possible for the process to be automated in the same way that FTM allows bulk changes to be accepted with one click? 

Both the TreeShare developers and the TreeShare beta testers have been very supportive of the current TreeShare design because a true and full sync could be very dangerous to your data. Since the initial TreeShare release, many TreeShare users have supported the current design and on the other hand many TreeShare users have requested a more automated "sync".

It seems to me that a more automated "sync" would be perfectly safe if it were used in only one direction, either RM to ancestry or ancestry to RM. But it might be a little tricky to restrict TreeShare to one direction only. For my personal use, my one direction is RM to ancestry but it's easy to see reasons for the only direction to be be ancestry to RM. I do hope that eventually something can be done to make the "sync" process easier to use while keeping TreeShare safe to use.

Jerry

#7 tokyojef

tokyojef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:28 AM

But it might be a little tricky to restrict TreeShare to one direction only. For my personal use, my one direction is RM to ancestry but it's easy to see reasons for the only direction to be be ancestry to RM.

Hi Jerry,

I want to limit one way sync Ancestry==> my RM tree.

How tricky is it (if at all possible),

to sync only data and citations and media from Ancestry to RM,

and not update changes in RM ==> Ancestry?

I ask this because:

1. I do my online research thru ancestry,

but RM is my main database. As well offline research is enter into RM.

I want to keep my master database in RM, and only research with Ancestry.

2. When I treesync, I have have problems, as i clean my tree:

tangled messes to sort out 1 by 1.

This has happened when I make some corrections relating to adding or deleting people,

or designating marriage dates to multiple spouses has occurred.

I am new to Rootsmagic.

So, perhaps I am missing something.

I did read thru the treesync section of the manual.

The treesync window will show needed changes to existing people,

that it "seems" I have to decide at that point how to handle them.

I dont see that it keeps track of those people, if I run the treesync again,

as they are not in the list to deal with.

New people of course is not an issue.

Thanks for any help with this!

Jeff :)

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3108 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

I know in advance I am being stupid so please be kind, also bear in mind I am a committed Rootsmagic user.

I don't understand why someone solely committed to Ancestry with their research and Tree would want to download to a Desktop application? I know additional research aids can be used in Rootsmagic and additional information stored but it then seems odd to go to Ancestry to make those changes. Rootsmagic has various merge utilities, data cleaning aids, duplicate searching and problem lists but such changes would naturally be made to the Rootsmagic database.

Are committed Ancestry users identifying problems, duplicates and data anomalies in Rootsmagic and then effecting the changes on Ancestry?

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 tokyojef

tokyojef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:17 AM

Hi Vyger!

Everything is appreciated, :)

as I am new to RM,

so please be patient as I try to be clearer with my dilemma:

It makes some sense what you are saying.

The problem I have had is using either hint functions in RM that it finds for Ancestry.com.

If I use RM hint functions, and i use the hint function within Ancestry;

(as well as dealing at the same time with multiple spouses, etc.)--

It is like Ancestry and RM are 2 people trying to get thru the same doorway at the same time

when they sync.

The search for me is much clearer in Ancestry for looking at and adding records.

The beauty of Rootsmagic lies it its ability to deal with sources and events correctly,

among other things. I have been with FTM for 7 years, but it tangled my source citations

and links to media. a month and a half of support chat and engineers left me on my own,

so I finally gave up and found that Rootsmagic does does the job!

Plus and minuses to everything, but Rootmagic works as the best intermediary to exporting a gedcom

correctly to my TNG site. The only down side I am having

is that It just seems the treesync

plays havoc for existing people updates,

with my tree anyway....

yes of course, if i didnt use treesync, all is well...

but the only un-mangled copy of my tree I have is on Ancestry,

and is slowly being pruned and brought into RM.

The FTM tree and its backups are all corrupted,

when i looked at the source files and media links with

5000 unlinked that were linked before.

I trusted to long all was well without looking closer.

I am excited about RM,

10 years of searching in the records and catalogs on Ancestry

with a workflow I am use to,

makes me want to do my research there,

and bring those thru a 1-way sync into RM.

I am hoping to not update back into my Ancestry Tree,

because when I am finished with this major import,

I can rely sole on the RM hint system,

and if possible delete the ancestry tree,

and keep what I have in Rootsmagic,

and sync between RM and TNG,

and rely on RM hint and websearch system .

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2984 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

I don't understand why someone solely committed to Ancestry with their research and Tree would want to download to a Desktop application?

Wouldn't it be for reports and maybe to use myrootsmagic.com? Or maybe you would want a way to transfer your data to FamilySearch via the FamilySearch API?

Jerry

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2984 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

How tricky is it (if at all possible),

to sync only data and citations and media from Ancestry to RM,

and not update changes in RM ==> Ancestry?

This is a hard one to answer. It's basically easy not to update RM==> Ancestry. Just don't approve any such changes. But it seems to me that two bad things would happen. One would be that by updating both systems and only sharing in one direction, you would gradually be accumulating more and more differences between the two systems that never would be reconciled. That doesn't sound like a good idea. But more importantly, changes in ancestry could overwrite and therefore destroy changes you had made in RM, which also doesn't sound like a good idea. I may be missing something obvious, but it seems to me that if you are going to update both systems and if you are going to share, then you need to share in both directions.

Jerry

#12 tokyojef

tokyojef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:45 AM

Hi Jerry!

Good point about the report many other extras of RM!

:) Vyger,

I happen to start with Ancestry, but doesn't mean I am committed to it.

I look for the good sources for records to work on my family history,

regardless it its on the Swiss Bern Archives or Ancestry, etc.

as long as they are reliable sources.

The software depends on the users liking I think,

as well as the capabilities of that software to do the job correctly (which is quite important).

I have tried FH, master genealogist, PAF, Legacy, FTM, TNG, Gramps, and RM. 

I now prefer RM, and TNG. As well, Ancestry onsite search, i am use to.

#13 tokyojef

tokyojef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

:) Jerry,

I am looking to just for RM to download any changes I made in ancestry,

(giving Rootsmagic the choice to say yes or no);

but if i do something in roots magic or add media, etc. i prefer it not to be going to ancestry,

as eventually i want to stay in the comfort of RM.

As I get use to RM and do my research from here,

and not have my tree on Ancestry.

Im new, so I may not be seeing a bigger picture here, forgive me of that.

Jeff

#14 tokyojef

tokyojef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:17 AM

Vyger and Jerry,

Thank you both for your advice on this.

I will do some more reading about the treesync panel to figure out 

why multiple spouse marriages are not syncing the correct marriage dates

or sometimes not allowing me the choice to put them into the right fields.

For now I will work on getting the "new" people into my existing RM tree.

I should have explained I have a master Ancestry tree that i am pruning

into the newer clean tree which is the one connected to RM.

So my media and records are still on the master tree.

Right now, Ancestry's "members connect" wont allow me to add the media, records, and source citations

from my master tree to my newer ancestry tree, even though they are visible to do so.

Thanks again,

#15 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3108 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:37 AM

Hi Vyger!

Everything is appreciated, :)

as I am new to RM,

so please be patient as I try to be clearer with my dilemma:

I think we are approaching the same problem from different angles as I am very low on the learning curve of Ancestry, however we both seem to be working in a similar way wishing to collect hints and original documentation and pull them into Rootsmagic. I upload a fresh tree to Ancestry periodically to help gain hints and contact from other interested parties and also to avoid the tedious click by click update procedure and I know I lose accepted tips.

Wouldn't it be for reports and maybe to use myrootsmagic.com? Or maybe you would want a way to transfer your data to FamilySearch via the FamilySearch API?

Jerry

Jerry, all your points are very valid and TomH posted some screenshots of pretty nice looking and modern reports generated directly by Ancestry, however I know Rootsmagic still has the lead on the number of reports available and also superior data mining to Ancestry.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Root

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5783 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

I know of no faster or more efficient way to build an evidence-based family tree than with an Ancestry Member Tree. The search tool is without equal. The databases are the widest and deepest. The auto-generated draft events speed the building of a person (and family's) profile. The interactive chart is much more powerful than RM's Pedigree View. I can pursue lines of investigation on Ancestry from within an AMT with far more context and documentation at my mouse clicks than I can from within RM even with WebHints and WebSearch and with fewer clicks. Lots of reasons to do one's research in an AMT and TreeShare down to RM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#17 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3108 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

Lots of reasons to do one's research in an AMT and TreeShare down to RM.

Feel like I need to spend a lot more time on AMT and learning rather than just grabbing documents, must be the dinosaur in me <_<

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root

#18 tokyojef

tokyojef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:58 PM

I know of no faster or more efficient way to build an evidence-based family tree than with an Ancestry Member Tree. The search tool is without equal. The databases are the widest and deepest. The auto-generated draft events speed the building of a person (and family's) profile. The interactive chart is much more powerful than RM's Pedigree View. I can pursue lines of investigation on Ancestry from within an AMT with far more context and documentation at my mouse clicks than I can from within RM even with WebHints and WebSearch and with fewer clicks. Lots of reasons to do one's research in an AMT and TreeShare down to RM.

:) Tom H

Quite eloquently put.

What you are saying about the search function and databases

is why I wish to do the research from AMT and treeshare down to RM.

Thanks for the clarity.

I feel both AMT and RM have their advantages.

For me, with both RM and AMT, I can go much farther in my family history,

then with only one or the other. :)