• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lindabridwell

lindabridwell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

Very nervous about finally upgrading from RM 4 to RM 7 so hope you can help assure me before I do, my database is HUGE.

Since it has been so long since I've upgraded I shouldn't have any problems right?

Will my photos be there or will I have to go through the old process of knowing the path RM has my photos in now and then replace from a separate folder?

Would appreciate any details, help before I finally upgrade.  The more details the better.

Thank you.

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

It has been too long since I used Ver 4, but I have three suggestions.

1] Make certain that you have a current backup and a Gedcom file also.

2] When you install Ver 7, make certain that you tell the installation dialog to KEEP prior versions as a fallback position.  That way, you still have Ver 4.

3] In the Ver 7 goto Tools>Program Options>Folders, make a new set of folders specific to Ver 7.  I would copy the Ver 4 backup to the Ver 7 folder for backups.  Then I would run RM Ver 7 and

RESTORE the backup file just copied into the Ver 7 folder for backups.  Then I would do an immediate backup in Ver 7.  The backup file should be in the Ver 7 Backup folder.  The data file should be in the Ver 7 Data folder.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:49 PM

Your media files will remain where they are now and will be linked to the upgraded database if they are linked to the current one.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7921 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

There was a file format change that can cause an issue converting the RM4 database to RM7. If you download RM6 Essentials and open and convert the database there it will then open in RM7.  You can download RM6 here - http://www.rootsmagi...d/RootsMagic-6/

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1356 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

So it's good to upgrade, and even better to ask for a bit of advice along the way.... I very much enjoy RM7, and hope you will, too !!!

#6 lindabridwell

lindabridwell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

Thank you everyone.

Go way back with Family Origins, then changed over to Roots Magic when that happened and kept upgrading until version 4.  I was always happy with the way things were so just didn't bother upgrading.  Suddenly it seemed I ought to stay more 'in the loop' and get up to speed with the program.

#2 in John's suggestions makes me wonder about something as it's been so long since I've upgraded.  Will I actually installing version 7 or upgrading from 4?  Been so long since I upgraded I forget the process.

As for #3 that one puzzles me.

Have the program saved on my computer as well as a usb flash drive btw.

Apparently Renee's suggestion I should do first.  That looks very important.  That is why I started this thread, I mean, since it's been so long I wondered if there could be a problem upgrading with such an old version.

On top of my concerns, my computer has crashed a couple times this week which caused me to be concerned about my databasethat has taken me 30+ years to accumulate.  We cleaned the dust out and did some windows updates so hopefully I'm ok for now.

Will probably attempt to upgrade tomorrow beginning first with Renee's download suggestion unless anyone has any other comments and/or suggestions.  Needless to say I'm very nervous about it as I'm not that technical.

Sure appreciate the help.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7921 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

Make a backup before you begin the conversion process, and all will be well. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

#3 Continued.

I have kept a separate set of data folders for V4, V5, V6, & V7.  The 1 Tb data disk is still only 10% full.

And I kept RM programs for V4, V5, V6, & V7 until I did an update for V7 and forgot about the option to keep previous versions.  I still have the distribution RM files for previous versions in my download folder and most or all are still available on the RM website.  But I never had a reason to go back to the older versions.

#9 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1356 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

I will sometimes want to look at two copies of my database side-by-side. I use RM to open a freshly-saved copy, and that way the two copies are independent, and the different appearances of RM6 and RM7 help me see which is which.

I also maintain a "template" version of my preferences for new Publisher Books in RM6. I don't know of any way to easily copy my template into RM7 (nor can we maintain a template Publisher Book in RM7 and use it to start new book projects - but that would be a MARVELOUS improvement), but again, by having the new book side-by-side with my developed template, it takes only a couple minutes to set up the new pages and to copy over my standard text for Copyright, Preface, and other standard pages.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7921 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

The primary reason for a backup before converting a file is for security. If the power goes out or the computer dies on you while converting it could damage the database file. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 lindabridwell

lindabridwell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

Did it!  Now so much to catch up on.  Thank you so much everyone!  Sincerely appreciate the help.