23 replies to this topic

#21 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:51 PM

Export the RM database to Gedcom and then after it has completed, import from Gedcom  with a different database name. Any scruff accumulated with the constant buggy shutdowns for RM7 on the Mac should go away for a while. I find it interesting that when I use my database under Windows, I run the database tools and things are found that are corrected and these same things are not found running the database tools on the Mac side. But when I open under the Mac operating system the database seems to play nice longer after it has been treated with the database tools on the Windows side. 

#22 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:51 PM

1. Mackeeper is well known mac malware and hard to remove.

2. Use Disk Utility first aid to check your mac's drive for problems. It is in your applications utility folder. Did Apple install the new drive or a 3rd party?

3. Having both an old true crossover version and Bruce's wrapper version does seem like a recipe for interference. Both do something weird on your mac.

4. Try running the database tools on your rootsmagaic file and see if that helps.

#23 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:49 PM

I find it interesting that when I use my database under Windows, I run the database tools and things are found that are corrected and these same things are not found running the database tools on the Mac side.

This is crazy and unacceptable. I sincerely hope this will not be an issue with a native Mac program.

#24 pbooth99

pbooth99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:33 AM

This is crazy and unacceptable. I sincerely hope this will not be an issue with a native Mac program.

As the parent of two teenagers, and someone with an office job, I have lost count of things I have to accept that are crazy and unacceptable  :)

I agree that as of today there are numerous hiccups with the Mac version of Rootsmagic. Hanging on connection to Familysearch/Ancedstry is common. I have a little cleanup script that kills RM and kills any running processes with the word "wine" in their name. I am also resigned to the weird blip where choosing Options -> Cleare everyone from "changed" list on TreeShare for Ancestry on Mac OSX gives a weird error that says "TTaskDialog requires Windows Vista or later", but works as expected on Windows. Running the windows version on Virtual Box kept me happy for a while but ultimately RootsMagic and genmerge are the reasons that I keep a Windows PC in my Mac/Linux home.

Its an imperfect world but Rootsmagic is pretty darn good.