• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

I am using RootsMagic 7 on a Mac. It freezes when I clic on the tree for Ancestry or Family Search. I shut down the Mac, turn it on again, go into an indivudal's space then back out, click on the tree and it works fine. Does wine have anything to do with the freeze? If so, would parallels work more efficiently? Years ago I used Parallels on my Mac laptop in the days of PAF and it worked like a charm

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:45 AM

I am using RootsMagic 7 on a Mac. It freezes when I clic on the tree for Ancestry or Family Search. I shut down the Mac, turn it on again, go into an indivudal's space then back out, click on the tree and it works fine. Does wine have anything to do with the freeze? If so, would parallels work more efficiently? Years ago I used Parallels on my Mac laptop in the days of PAF and it worked like a charm

A couple of comments.

You should not have to shutdown the Mac to recover. If you select the Apple at the top left of the menubar and select Force Quit and then kill RM, you should be able to restart RM or whatever else you want to do.

Parallels MIGHT be more reliable, but it would certainly not be more efficient - it involves a lot of extra overhead relative to Wine/CrossOver as used by RM for Mac. There are more functional restrictions with RM for Mac, but a lot of us survive without them being an issue.

A couple of questions? What level of MacOS or OSX are you using? Does your Mac have a “traditional” hard drive (HDD) or an SSD?

#3 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

I am using Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.4 (17E202).  I recently had the hard drive replaced with a 2 terrabyte so I am guessing whichever is the high powered is the one currently in my iMac.  My Mac has frozen again 3 times in the last 24 hours.  The Force Quit shuts off everything but a gray background below the RootsMagic toolbar which only disappears when I turn off the iMac, something I know harms the machine.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:37 AM

Did you do a fresh install of the program when you got a new hard drive? The reason I ask is because my daughter told me they just transferred everything including programs to her new Mac. I didn't know Macs did that. I mainly use my Windows computer where you have to do a new install of the programs. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

No, I didn't fresh install RootsMagic.  Thanks for the information.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

Make sure you do a complete uninstall including the CrossOver wrapper around RootsMagic. Then do a fresh download and install. This Knowledge Base article gives the steps on the complete uninstall.

https://support.root...agic-on-the-Mac

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:56 PM

Renee;

Mac shops like to use Apple's Migration Assistant to transfer all your stuff from an old to a new mac. It is fast, easy, pleases the customer initially  and brings years of digital debris and broken programs across. Much safer to do fresh installs of programs and files on a new computer--just more work. Probably crucial with a special case like Rootsmagic in it's crossover bottle.

#8 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

I followed the Bruce Buzbee instructions for uninstall/reinstall on YouTube.  Looks like my computer just doesn't get along with RootsMagic for Mac.  

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:50 AM

If you call into support we can check other settings to see if it will help. 

Phone: 801-489-3102 - Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm (MT)

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 kv4evr

kv4evr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

Like mlmetz5612 I have been having the same problem  - I did a did a complete uninstall and ire-install as suggested by  Renee Zamora. What I find is that after a freeze/lock up I an force quit and Rootsmagic will restart from the dock a couple of times but then the inevitable happens and Rootsmagic does not restart and I have to shut my Mac down and restart by powering up again.

Frustrating but have grown to love Rootsmagic and will live with it until the full Mac  version is released, in the near future (here is hoping).

#11 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

Like kv4evr I love RootsMagic and am staying with it until a RootsMagic is written just for Mac.  I have SSD, OSSierra 10.13.5, did the uninstall, including Crossover.  Bruce's clear way of explaining things is another reason to stick with RootsMagic.  Yes, I'll happily call the support number.  Thanks kv4evr for you input on RootsMagic.  This is a solvable puzzle, unlike my 3G immaculate conception grandfather.  Maybe even he's solvable.  So long for now.

#12 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

It couldn't hurt to do normal maintenance things too: repair disk permissions, run a utility program like Onyx, or MacKeeper, or MemoryKeeper, etc. too. Also if RM crashes see if you can copy the crash report, that might give more insight.