• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

I am using RootsMagic 7 on a Mac. It freezes when I clic on the tree for Ancestry or Family Search. I shut down the Mac, turn it on again, go into an indivudal's space then back out, click on the tree and it works fine. Does wine have anything to do with the freeze? If so, would parallels work more efficiently? Years ago I used Parallels on my Mac laptop in the days of PAF and it worked like a charm

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:45 AM

I am using RootsMagic 7 on a Mac. It freezes when I clic on the tree for Ancestry or Family Search. I shut down the Mac, turn it on again, go into an indivudal's space then back out, click on the tree and it works fine. Does wine have anything to do with the freeze? If so, would parallels work more efficiently? Years ago I used Parallels on my Mac laptop in the days of PAF and it worked like a charm

A couple of comments.

You should not have to shutdown the Mac to recover. If you select the Apple at the top left of the menubar and select Force Quit and then kill RM, you should be able to restart RM or whatever else you want to do.

Parallels MIGHT be more reliable, but it would certainly not be more efficient - it involves a lot of extra overhead relative to Wine/CrossOver as used by RM for Mac. There are more functional restrictions with RM for Mac, but a lot of us survive without them being an issue.

A couple of questions? What level of MacOS or OSX are you using? Does your Mac have a “traditional” hard drive (HDD) or an SSD?