• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

I am using RootsMagic 7 on a Mac. It freezes when I clic on the tree for Ancestry or Family Search. I shut down the Mac, turn it on again, go into an indivudal's space then back out, click on the tree and it works fine. Does wine have anything to do with the freeze? If so, would parallels work more efficiently? Years ago I used Parallels on my Mac laptop in the days of PAF and it worked like a charm

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:45 AM

I am using RootsMagic 7 on a Mac. It freezes when I clic on the tree for Ancestry or Family Search. I shut down the Mac, turn it on again, go into an indivudal's space then back out, click on the tree and it works fine. Does wine have anything to do with the freeze? If so, would parallels work more efficiently? Years ago I used Parallels on my Mac laptop in the days of PAF and it worked like a charm

A couple of comments.

You should not have to shutdown the Mac to recover. If you select the Apple at the top left of the menubar and select Force Quit and then kill RM, you should be able to restart RM or whatever else you want to do.

Parallels MIGHT be more reliable, but it would certainly not be more efficient - it involves a lot of extra overhead relative to Wine/CrossOver as used by RM for Mac. There are more functional restrictions with RM for Mac, but a lot of us survive without them being an issue.

A couple of questions? What level of MacOS or OSX are you using? Does your Mac have a “traditional” hard drive (HDD) or an SSD?

#3 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

I am using Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.4 (17E202).  I recently had the hard drive replaced with a 2 terrabyte so I am guessing whichever is the high powered is the one currently in my iMac.  My Mac has frozen again 3 times in the last 24 hours.  The Force Quit shuts off everything but a gray background below the RootsMagic toolbar which only disappears when I turn off the iMac, something I know harms the machine.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:37 AM

Did you do a fresh install of the program when you got a new hard drive? The reason I ask is because my daughter told me they just transferred everything including programs to her new Mac. I didn't know Macs did that. I mainly use my Windows computer where you have to do a new install of the programs. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

No, I didn't fresh install RootsMagic.  Thanks for the information.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

Make sure you do a complete uninstall including the CrossOver wrapper around RootsMagic. Then do a fresh download and install. This Knowledge Base article gives the steps on the complete uninstall.

https://support.root...agic-on-the-Mac

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:56 PM

Renee;

Mac shops like to use Apple's Migration Assistant to transfer all your stuff from an old to a new mac. It is fast, easy, pleases the customer initially  and brings years of digital debris and broken programs across. Much safer to do fresh installs of programs and files on a new computer--just more work. Probably crucial with a special case like Rootsmagic in it's crossover bottle.

#8 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

I followed the Bruce Buzbee instructions for uninstall/reinstall on YouTube.  Looks like my computer just doesn't get along with RootsMagic for Mac.  

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:50 AM

If you call into support we can check other settings to see if it will help. 

Phone: 801-489-3102 - Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm (MT)

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 kv4evr

kv4evr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

Like mlmetz5612 I have been having the same problem  - I did a did a complete uninstall and ire-install as suggested by  Renee Zamora. What I find is that after a freeze/lock up I an force quit and Rootsmagic will restart from the dock a couple of times but then the inevitable happens and Rootsmagic does not restart and I have to shut my Mac down and restart by powering up again.

Frustrating but have grown to love Rootsmagic and will live with it until the full Mac  version is released, in the near future (here is hoping).

#11 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

Like kv4evr I love RootsMagic and am staying with it until a RootsMagic is written just for Mac.  I have SSD, OSSierra 10.13.5, did the uninstall, including Crossover.  Bruce's clear way of explaining things is another reason to stick with RootsMagic.  Yes, I'll happily call the support number.  Thanks kv4evr for you input on RootsMagic.  This is a solvable puzzle, unlike my 3G immaculate conception grandfather.  Maybe even he's solvable.  So long for now.

#12 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

It couldn't hurt to do normal maintenance things too: repair disk permissions, run a utility program like Onyx, or MacKeeper, or MemoryKeeper, etc. too. Also if RM crashes see if you can copy the crash report, that might give more insight.

#13 eldc

eldc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:51 AM

My Roots Magic is also recently freezing up on my Macbook Pro.  I cannot work with RM for more than a few minutes before this happens and I have to do a force quit, then open it back up again.  I have Crossover v. 15.1, RM v. 7.5.9.0, Sierra, and SSD 1T disk.  There seems to be a lot of people doing the complete uninstall and reinstall, but that not helping.  

What other things can I try first?

Can you give me the specific steps for saving and restoring my database afterwards If I do an uninstall and fresh install of RM 7?

I am thinking of switching to using RM on a destop PC we have with Windows 7.  The RM backup file type is a Crossover file, so I am wondering if I switch to using RM on a Windows PC, will my backup I have for Mac wth Crossover work to restore my data?

#14 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:30 AM

There is no difference between the RootsMagic data files (.rmgc) or backups (.rmgb) on the PC and on the Mac. It's the same Windows program being run in both cases. The Crossover wrapper is just an environment that allows the RootsMagic Windows program to run on the Mac.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:06 AM

Your database and backup files will remain in the same location after a complete uninstall / reinstall of RootsMagic for Mac. Use File>Open to open the database (.rmgc) file and File>Restore to open a backup (.rmgb) file. Restoring a backup shouldn't be necessary.

I'm not sure what "Crossover v. 15.1" is. The CrossOver wrapper around RootsMagic for Mac should be 7.0.3. Are you actually running the full version of CrossOver on your Mac and installing the Windows version of RM with it?

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 eldc

eldc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:39 AM

I first got my Macbook Pro in 2012, and started using Crossover with RM at that time.  The Crossover program is still on my Mac, The last modification to Crossover was on March 30, 2016.  I have installed the latest RM7 with the wrapper.  Do I need to do a complete uninstall of Crossover?

#17 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:30 AM

I first got my Macbook Pro in 2012, and started using Crossover with RM at that time.  The Crossover program is still on my Mac, The last modification to Crossover was on March 30, 2016.  I have installed the latest RM7 with the wrapper.  Do I need to do a complete uninstall of Crossover?

You need to be clear on what you are wanting to do. Either you run RM for Mac, which includes a cut-down version of CrossOver that is included in the RM for Mac product, or you run the Windows version of RM under the full CrossOver product, with RM installed using the “install script” (this is the wrong terminology, but you should be able to find what I am referring to on the CrossOver website).

If you want to use RM for Mac, then follow the standard instructions for complete uninstall and reinstall. The included version of the CrossOver wrapper appears as version 7.0.3 if you use the Mac Get Info against the installed package. It is certainly at a higher level than CrossOver V15.

If you go the full CrossOver route, then the current version is V18, and that supports all versions of MacOS from Sierra to Mojave - you say you are on Sierra. For Mojave support, you need V17 or V18.

I use V18 on Mojave - all latest versions - and RM is still running after many days, including very heavy use of the Family Search Family Tree interface. My Mac sleeps overnight but every time I interact with it, RM seems happy to continue (? reconnect under the covers) with FSFT. I used to try to remember to sign-out and then sign-in again to FSFT before doing anything with RM when I woke my Mac from sleep, just in case, but have not done that now for quite some time, and I can’t recall when I last had to kill RM. The full CrossOver/RM combination has now become amazingly stable compared to my previous experience, though mine was no-where near as bad as some others seem to have experienced.

#18 eldc

eldc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:36 PM

So RM7 for Mac (with wrapper) is having a lot more problems working well with Ancestry and Family Search than the full Crossover/RM setup?

Darn!  I was so relieved to hear I didn't have to deal with Crossover when RM7 for Mac came out. In the past it has not been very easy or simple for us non techies to use.

Is the presence of Crossover 15.1 on my computer while using RM7 for Mac a possible source of the freezing up problem or is it just a RM7 for Mac problem, or Safari, or Sierra?  I have a 2012 Macbook Pro and cannot upgrade it past Sierra, although I have a 1T SSD hard drive.

If I want to stick with RM7 for Mac, should I uninstall the Crossover 15.1?

If I want to go with the full Crossover setup, I see that it is going to cost $40 to $60 per year to upgrade to 16, 17, or 18.

Wondering if my current Crossover 15.1 will do OK, and if so, how do I get a standalone download of RM7 (without wrapper)?  I don't see it on the Crossover website, only the option to order a 14 day trial of Crossover 18.  

They do have a button for downloading RM7 for Mac which takes you back to the RootsMagic website.  Been there, done that.

A good Windows version of RM is sorely needed!

#19 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:45 AM

So RM7 for Mac (with wrapper) is having a lot more problems working well with Ancestry and Family Search than the full Crossover/RM setup?

Darn!  I was so relieved to hear I didn't have to deal with Crossover when RM7 for Mac came out. In the past it has not been very easy or simple for us non techies to use.

Is the presence of Crossover 15.1 on my computer while using RM7 for Mac a possible source of the freezing up problem or is it just a RM7 for Mac problem, or Safari, or Sierra?  I have a 2012 Macbook Pro and cannot upgrade it past Sierra, although I have a 1T SSD hard drive.

If I want to stick with RM7 for Mac, should I uninstall the Crossover 15.1?

If I want to go with the full Crossover setup, I see that it is going to cost $40 to $60 per year to upgrade to 16, 17, or 18.

Wondering if my current Crossover 15.1 will do OK, and if so, how do I get a standalone download of RM7 (without wrapper)?  I don't see it on the Crossover website, only the option to order a 14 day trial of Crossover 18.  

They do have a button for downloading RM7 for Mac which takes you back to the RootsMagic website.  Been there, done that.

A good Windows version of RM is sorely needed!

I'm not sure you can conclude that ALL RM for Mac users are having more difficulties than those using full CrossOver. What you will tend to hear from on the forums is those who do have problems. Note also that some of the problems have been when users have moved to a new version of MacOS - those doing it early, and Mac users tend to do that more than Windows users would - have hit issues that have sometimes needed updates to the wrapper. Full CrossOver users would tend to get these automatically by the CrossOver update process.

I wouldn't have thought there was a clash between having CrossOver 15 and RM for Mac installed, but I'm not an expert on that. I have both installed but both are at similar levels from a CrossOver perspective.

I'm surprised you found CrossOver needed a techie approach. I've just selected the "Install a Windows Application" on the CrossOver - All Bottles panel, entered Rootsmagic, selected the Rootsmagic 7 option and then Continue, and it has installed RM7 in a new bottle (independent of my existing RM bottle. (Yes, if you click on the RM7 panel, it throws up an RM for Mac download option, but if you just continue, it just installs the Windows version and supporting Windows stuff.) Of course, to get that far, I assume you have to be a signed in and therefore paying CrossOver user. Mine is CO 18, but I assume there was a similar option on CO 15.

Having done the above, RM7 started, asked me for registration details or did I want the Essential version. I deleted the bottle at that stage, but it seemed very straightforward to me (though I do know what is going on behind the scenes, so maybe I'm not the best judge of ease of use).

CrossOver costs - well, they often have offers on - 30 percent off today - and I seem to recall that having originally installed a trial version, I was made an offer. Annual renewals seem to come at a reduced price. It all depends on how much time and effort you put into your genealogy as to whether it is worth whatever the cost is. From my perspective, given the time I spend at it and the enjoyment I get from puzzling things out, both RM and CrossOver seem quite cheap.

I assume your very last comment should have said a good "Mac version". One observation - if RM8 were to appear tomorrow, it is a question as to whether it will support Sierra. We could be on to the next version of MacOS before it appears - we all hope not - but that would mean supporting 4 versions of MacOS. Supporting a new version of RM will be challenging enough, especially with a Windows and a Mac variety, so there may be an attempt to limit the scope by limiting the OS versions supported, possibly for both Windows and Mac.

#20 eldc

eldc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:33 AM

Thank you for your response.  Yes, I meant a Mac version.

I think CO must be much improved now as far as being user friendly.

I installed RM7 on my husband's Lenova laptop, Windows 7.

It was OK for a couple days, but now it is freezing up too.

???????  Makes me think either RM7 is a problem or my database.