5 replies to this topic

#1 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 02:27 AM

I have noticed that a number of webhints are non-existent and cannot be reset.

For example, an individual has

25 webhints consisting of
2 pending
19 confirmed
5 rejected

So (as an aside) the numbers do not add-up.

When I click on those webhints I find
10 with a green tick
4 with a red cross

Then under other member trees there are
9 with a green tick
1 with a red cross

Today I have undated the program to 7.5.6, so I have the latest version.

The basic problem is that RootsMagic is showing that I have a webhint in the pedigree, family and descendants views (by showing a yellow bulb) but I have no way of removing that indication and changing it to a white bulb.

Obviously there needs to be some sort of re-indexing or updating but I cannot find any way of doing it.

The problem applies randomly across my database. Specifically, it affects around 50 individuals in a database with around 12,000 individuals. So it is annoying but not fatal.

Do you have any thoughts how I can correct that situation?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

Have a look at this discussion: http://forums.rootsm...e/?fromsearch=1

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:12 PM

Thanks, that was so simple.

To confirm all I do is delete a problem individual on Ancestry and then use TreeShare to let RootsMagic upload my copy of that individual back to Ancestry.

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

I have found the following to be an effective (but not speedy) way of clearing the hint in RM. Not sure what to do about "phantom" hints in A.com if that data base is not linked to RM.

First I re-sync the A.com person with RM using Tree Share to be sure all data has been transferred to RM.

Then I delete the person in A.com and re-add from RM using Tree Share.

So far, when I have used this method, the phantom hints go away in Ancestry and in RM, and they have not reappeared later.

I suspect phantom hints (A.com support's words, not mine) are due to some sort of process timing or glitch in A.com.

Good Luck!

Rick

RickL

#5 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:32 PM

Essentially that is what I am doing. However, it is not quite as simple as I thought.

If there is a marriage event for the deleted person then TreeShare does not directly add it back it.

Initially I was adding it back it when running a resync on their spouse but I found that TreeShare added a second copy of the marriage event to the spouse.

In the end my solution is to:

go to the spouse in Ancestry

make a change (normally just edit, add a character to the description, save, edit (again), remove the new character, save)

resync the spouse but update the marriage rather than add it because Ancestry has put the event on the spouse but without the source.

I also find that TreeShare affects individuals connected with that deleted and resync'd individual which then involves more clicks to then show them as unchanged.

The good thing is that new hints appear on Ancestry, which of course then need resyncing!

It is a shame that this is so long-winded. I suspect we are back to the problem that TreeShare is a new feature which is slowly evolving to cope with problems imposed by Ancestry.

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

For the "few" phantom hints I have had to clear, I do not recall having to deal with the "marriage issue". Maybe I did when I noticed it later, but I have really had very few cases of the hints getting out of sync. I tried everything to clear them, but the delete and resync method was the only thing that worked for me. Like you said, Tree Share has a lot of "kinks" that will need to be corrected in the future to really make it a useful tool.

RickL