• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scrollsawman

scrollsawman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:04 PM

This is just a suggestion and I hope the developers see it. Could there be a fact titled "Relationship"? This would be helpful to designate what the persons relationship to the owner is. For instance, I just recently found some second and third cousins. It would make things a lot easier if, when you call up a person out of the database it would have an entry for relationship and you could enter 1st Cousin, 3rd Cousin etc..

Any thoughts or inputs are welcomed.

#2 scrollsawman

scrollsawman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

Sorry Folks---I got ahead of myself. I now see I can create my own fact  and use as I please. 

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7953 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:21 PM

I actually use the Reference Number fact to put in my relationship codes. Then I can display them after the person's name when I want to see it in reports, or while working. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 RetiredBri

RetiredBri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:54 AM

I actually use the Reference Number fact to put in my relationship codes. Then I can display them after the person's name when I want to see it in reports, or while working. 

Hi Renee

Thanks for all your contributions to the forums. 

I had a vague recollection that if a person is deleted then the Reference Number is not reused BUT, if the database is cleaned, rebuilt or compacted, then the numbers shuffle and do not, necessarily stay with the persons.  The worse case is to delete person with record number 2, the best case if it it's the last number.

If the numbers were reallocated, would your method get out of sync. Unless i'm missing the point completely?

This came up when using a version of RM/FO where I could copy some of the database elements (when they existed) and look at them in Excel. (I'd never alter the originals - only the copies)

Regards Retiredbri

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7953 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

Reference Numbers are not Record Numbers and behave differently. The Reference Number is a fact the user adds. You can make it anything you want. People can even have the same reference number added to them. The Record Number (RIN) is assigned automatically as a person is added to RootsMagic. It cannot be reused or reassigned. Both the Reference Number and the Record Number can be displayed after a person's name. You select which one to display by going to Tools>File Options>General - Number to display after name. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 RetiredBri

RetiredBri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

Thanks - I see the difference now.

Retiredbri