• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rayhayes

rayhayes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:03 PM

When entering a place name, suggested names from the place list are shown after entering a couple of letters.

I would like to see a similar feature for occupations.

I hate to think the number of times I have had to type occupations such as "agricultural labourer" and many others in full from census records etc.

I made this suggestion years ago but have never seen a response.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:24 AM

This wish would also make possible an end-of-report index of occupations, similar to the Place Index. This, also, is something I have previously suggested.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7654 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:53 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5720 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:44 AM

I suppose one could wish for this typeahead feature on any text entry field such as fact/event Description and person names. Not sure what the technical impact might be. The Place names are stored optimally as one record for each unique name in the PlaceTable, no matter how many events use a place, so that table is small compared to the ones for names and, especially, events. Occupation fact descriptions are stored as one per event in a table of all events. For very large databases on slower computers, a redesign of the database structure might be needed to deliver the same speed with typeahead as it is now without.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

I already use the place list for events such as Civil War, WWI, WWII.  I use the place details under the Civil War for regimental units.

This works, but it would be nice to have a data type specific for events.  I think I made a similar request before.  Of course I know that events are not really places.

Obituaries rarely give the dates  for military service, but will often say WWII or Korean War.  The National Park Service Civil War website gives unit and rank, but not dates of service.  However, the unit history gives dates of service for the entire unit, but not the individual soldier or sailor.  So a general event seems to work well.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:54 AM

Sadly people start using data fields for non standard reasons just because they work for their need, work arounds.

I add my support to this for some standardization and help in removing typos, however the data list I most need is medical mainly for cause of death. Mainly because my latin spelling is poor and also because I car often not read the recorders writing.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root