Photo

Using Parallels instead of wineloader more stable?

MAC Windows Parallels

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BonSam

BonSam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:46 PM

I am running RM for Mac with wine on my Macbook Air, which is up to date. 

Every once in awhile, error messages pop up, this and that happens. However, since the High Sierra install, error messages, crashes, certain features not working (Research Log and ToDo most noticed). Yes, I have done the uninstall and reinstall 2-3 times. Not fixed. 

What I am wondering is will RM  work more reliably and with stability using Parallels than with the Wine crossover? 

Thanks

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

What are full error messages you are receiving?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 BonSam

BonSam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:28 PM

Renee, several different -- will write them down and post here. 

#4 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

I use Parallels and Windows 10 with High Sierra and have no problems using Roots Magic for Windows.  I have not tried RM's

version for the mac using the wine platform.

#5 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

I am using rm7 with parallels, windows 10 and high Sierra and have not had any issues.

#6 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:45 PM

Just to add an alternative, I have been using the full chargeable version of Crossover for several years and have not had the issues that others seem to have had with upgrades to new versions of MacOS (or OSX as was). It has certainly been very stable over recent months, even when making very heavy use of the Family Search interface.

However, I do not have a pure SSD boot drive, only a mixed SSD and HDD drive (a Fusion drive in Mac terminology), so I will have avoided any issues that seem to have stemmed from the non-optional upgrade from the HFS to APFS filing system that occurrs during the upgrade to High Sierra when the boot drive is a pure SSD.

#7 mlmetz5612

mlmetz5612

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Why would Wineloader be made part of RootsMagic 7 for Mac if Parallels works more effectively?  

#8 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:21 PM

My guess FWIW, as a parallels user, Cost and difficulty. You have have to buy parallels and (possibly) windows. Then install parallels, then windows, then rm7 to use.

Whereas, the Mac version of rm7 comes as a package and is much easier to install.

#9 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

RM for Mac is also much lighter on resource consumption, particularly memory, and also avoids the issue of Windows updates. When I used Parallels - successfully - it was always slow to get RM going when returning to it, and the latest Windows updates always seemed to get in the way.