• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cwbuff

cwbuff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:35 PM

Late last week I purchased Rootmagic for the Mac (7.5.5). I assume this is the latest version.  This app is very unstable and locks up if you click the "wrong" icon. For example this sequence will lock up the app every time:

1. start Rootsmagic
2. log in to Family Search through the top menu item.
3. In Pedigree view select a person and then click on the blue Family Search icon.
4. Immediately RootsMagic locks up. I have to use the “Force Quit” to kill the app. After killing the app, it will not run unless I reboot the Mac.

Help!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7652 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

There is security software on your Mac, which may be keeping RootsMagic from having the access it needs to the internet, resulting in your computer freezing. The link below is to some instructions that will resolve this freezing issue. The instructions will show you how to give RM permissions to run with your security software. Scroll down the screen until you see the section. “Allowing Specific Applications”.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201642 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 cwbuff

cwbuff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:08 AM

I tried it. It still locks up. When I click the blue Family Search Icon the RootsMagic - Family Search comparison window opens blank and locks up the system.

PS: I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 on a MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch mid 2015.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7652 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:56 AM

If the Share data tab is blank then its usually because your not signed in. In your steps you mentioned that you logged in, assuming using File>FamilySearch Central first. After that you can click on the FamilySearch icons next to their names. Am I clear that is what your doing?

If the Share data tab is blank but you can see information on the other tabs, we have found that its the router itself not allowing RM complete access to the internet. You can call into support to see if they can help you with those settings. They don't know all routers, and may need to refer you to the router manufacturer. Support can tell you which router providers have confirmed its not supported. Users with those routers have had to upgrade. 

Phone: 801-489-3102 - Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm (MT)

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 cwbuff

cwbuff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:17 AM

"If the Share data tab is blank then its usually because your not signed in. In your steps you mentioned that you logged in, assuming using File>FamilySearch Central first. After that you can click on the FamilySearch icons next to their names. Am I clear that is what your doing?"

Yes this is what I am doing. It locks up when I click the blue Family Search Icon. I have been able to add new information to various people and then update Family Search. But certain sequences lock it up.

PS: we have a Verizon FIOS router.

#6 allanpeter1

allanpeter1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

It works OK for me BUT the first screen of RootsMagic tells me I have v 4.5.5 whilst About RootsMagic tells me I have 7.0.1 - so who knows what version I have installed.  Certainly not me!

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7652 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

It works OK for me BUT the first screen of RootsMagic tells me I have v 4.5.5 whilst About RootsMagic tells me I have 7.0.1 - so who knows what version I have installed.  Certainly not me!

The 7.0.1 is the CrossOver wrapper around RootsMagic. On the Mac menu it should say "Version 7.0.1 (7.0.1)

Copyright 2016 CodeWeavers, Inc". If not then you need to do a complete uninstall / reinstall to update that wrapper.

If you also have not done a complete uninstall / reinstall since upgrading to High Sierra then you need to do so. The link to the complete uninstall directions are below.

https://support.root...agic-on-the-Mac

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7652 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

Yes this is what I am doing. It locks up when I click the blue Family Search Icon. I have been able to add new information to various people and then update Family Search. But certain sequences lock it up.

PS: we have a Verizon FIOS router.

Call into support and they can tell you better about the router and if there are settings to adjust that will help.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 cwbuff

cwbuff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:43 AM

As suggested, I called into support. They referred me to a RootsMagicTV video (https://www.youtube....ok4GFqY4&t=300s) on how to completely uninstall and install RootsMagic. I did that. The same problems occurred. I even turned off my firewall to see if that was the problem, it had no effect - same problem locking up when accessing FamilySearch. I can log into FamilySearch with no problem. But every time I access the FamilySearch Person Tool, RootsMagic crashes. So thinking that I may have something to do with my MacBook Pro, I uninstalled it from my machine and did a new install on my wife's MacBook Pro, which is 1 year newer. I had the exact same problems. So I uninstalled it from her machine and put it back on my machine. 

I did some more testing and was able to get a RootsMagic error message on one crash. After the crash, wineloader is still running on my dock. Here is the error message:

"Program Error

The program RootsMagic.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This can be caused by a problem in RootsMagic, or a deficiency in Wine, the compatibility layer which is being used to run RootsMagic. Contact the makers of RootsMagic for help."

I have another call into phone support and also into on-line support. Anything else I should do?