Photo

My Roots Magic Publishing Feature wish list

website publishing publish share upload myrootsmagic internet publish online wish list

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bram

Bram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:54 AM

Good day all,

RM has a nice thing going on with this publishing online feature. Other programs do not have this option combined with Ancestry support. But it seems the feature is abandoned & ignored by the RM development team. At the moment it the Publish Online is too basic and forces people who need this feature to move away from RM to alternative programs.

So my wish list is:

- Better support and more attention for the My RootsMagic Publishing Online feature.

- Have media displayed on the persons page sorted by time line, like the Ancestry Life History page.

- Images of documents are often unreadable. A zoom feature is needed.

- Ability to change any site settings without deleting the whole website first.

- Support of Ancestry portraits.

- Ability to zoom out in Pedigree view in order to show more of the tree.

- More options to control colors of the site.

- More options to control the layout & style of site and menu.

I would even be willing to pay an additional fee to enable any additional My RootsMagic Publishing Online feature.

B

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8050 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

Sorry you feel we abandoned and ignore the MyRootsMagic (Publish Online) features. That is far from true. It is still in active development. It had new features added in RootsMagic 7. 

The options you are requesting are simply put on an enhancement request list, and added as they fit in the development schedule. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8050 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

Ability to change any site settings without deleting the whole website first.

Which settings are you speaking of that you cannot change in the site settings online? The only one I can think of is the image on the main page. 

Support of Ancestry portraits.

Need a little more detail on this, like what view?

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Bram

Bram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the reply Renee. The fact that the example forum has more features, lack of attention for this great feature, and that it is so basic gave the impression it is abandoned by the team.

Options that require deleting the whole site is updating the main image, fixing thumbnail issues and updating any file from the media gallery.

Ancestry portraits could be supported in .......

egrfedwsq.jpg

qwdxx.jpg

Would be a great feature when the stuff from the media gallery will be visible, in chronological order, on the individual page. Title / description / year could used from the data used in Ancestry.

Hopefully more people will post in this thread so we can all help a bit in order to make this great feature better and more appealing.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8050 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

Thanks!  I have those all added to the list now. 

Fixing the thumbnail issue when updating is not an enhancement, but on the development list. I am not sure of the cause, but I know they have been trying to track that down and resolve it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 sue3

sue3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:05 PM

Hi - 

I used to be able to fix the issue on my website where the tiny thumbnail photo for an event does not expand - by deleting and republishing the database. However that no longer works. 

Is there something else I can do?

Sue

#7 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:53 AM

John Cardinal's GedSite program meshes extremely well with RootsMagic and can be used to make wonderful web sites.The home page is at https://www.gedsite.com/en/index.htm. There are links on the page to example sites, including (full disclosure department) my own.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8050 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:28 PM

I checked and my thumbnails are expanding on a new websites. Maybe you should delete the website and waiting a couple hours before republishing it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 sue3

sue3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:31 PM

I did as you suggested, Renee, (waited for a couple hours before republishing) and now my images are expanding correctly. It may have been the timing, but it may have been due to the following:

When I published the times it didn't work, in the initial setup I had checked the box to include Primary Photos Only, but had not checked the box labeled Photos. After publishing, I did add the check for Show Photos in the Site Settings, but the photos showed only as thumbnails.

Later, when I published I checked to include Photos (and Primary Photos only) in the initial publishing. This time it worked correctly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: website, publishing, publish, share, upload, myrootsmagic, internet, publish online, wish list