Photo

Find Everywhere is so very inefficient....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:00 PM

I know I've mentioned this before, but here's an example from today. I'm revising the way I document my sources (there's over 40,000 in my database) to show the Repositories in the Bibliography sentence. I want my readers to see how far and wide my efforts have gone.

When I started building sources long ago (I've been at this since 1988), I often abbreviated the actual source name for the source Title. The shortened titles fit the screen width better, and didn't get truncated as I switched from program to program to get a better research tool....

Today I'm trying to find the source with the actual title of Répertoire des actes de baptême mariage sépulture et des recensements du Québec ancien, but I don't remember how I abbreviated it (or even when it arrived in my database). The only RM tool that can help is Find Everywhere (which, I know, is a misnomer since it doesn't actually search everywhere within the database). 

I put in the last four words of the title for my search terms, and the search has been going for well over a half hour. Why so long? Because it is searching through names, and places, and to-do lists, and who knows what else that has NOTHING to do with my search goals.

This is frustrating. The Find Everywhere tool needs a screen with [] check boxes to allow us to FOCUS the search.

Please, pretty please, Mr. RootsMagician, can we get this improvement in the new version you are working on?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5875 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

Like!

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5875 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:11 PM

Could you do a Source List report with no details and browse the report faster than Find Mostwhere?

Save to PDF and use Adobe Reader to search.

Edited by TomH, 23 April 2018 - 03:15 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

That may be a good suggestion, Tom, but since RM is stuck in its modal mode, I can't try it right now. I created a PDF of a Publisher book of a current project. It was saved at 3:42 pm, so I probably started the Find SomeWhere before 4:00 pm. It is now 5:26 pm, and the Find HidingUnderARock operation has STILL NOT COMPLETED. But I have read some news articles, played some solitaire, and did a bit of tidying up around the desk....

Edited: 5:34 pm and the Find operation has finally popped up a report....

It found my search phrase in 3 (yes, three) Sources and about 30 x 9 = 270 Citations. It didn't need to search those citations, or the multimedia, or a bunch of other parts of the database to complete my task.

So very inefficient....

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7953 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

Confirming filtering the Find Everywhere search is on the enhancement request list.

To help with locating abbreviations for source names have you considered adding them to a general research log? You don't need to use the fields for what they were designed for. That would let you record the full and abbreviated titles. You can sort on any field and search all logs for a specific name - like Find Everywhere does. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

I typed a full response to Renee, but the forum didn't save it when I hit the [Post] button,

Grrr-rrr-rrr-rrr

I don't use Research Logs, because I've never worked them into my work habits. Might they be useful? Maybe, but that's not the point.

Here's the principal Tools Property stats on my database:

People 422396

Families 160477

Events 912935

Alt Names 246344

Places 54880

Sources 14865

Citations 2382163

Repositories 1934

Multimedia Items 23524

Multimedia Links 132022

In order to use Renee's suggestion, I'd have to get in the habit of duplicating effort and entering every new Source also in to a Research Log. Life's too short to intentionally duplicate my efforts.

More than that, in order for Renee's suggestion to work, I'd have to go back and enter all of existing Sources in to a Research Log. Nearly 15K items? Not gonna happen.

I'll try Tom's suggestion, first.

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1557 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for bringing this up.  I also agree that the research logs are in not really useable so much re entry/keying when you put the persons name in.  I very seldom use the Find Everything.  Not a very good search engine for me. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:48 AM

This is frustrating. The Find Everywhere tool needs a screen with [] check boxes to allow us to FOCUS the search.

Please, pretty please, Mr. RootsMagician, can we get this improvement in the new version you are working on?

Confirming filtering the Find Everywhere search is on the enhancement request list.

I totally agree that the selective options are very much required and I would hope, Renee, that the enhancement will also include Finding EVERYWHERE.

The other thing I find frustration in the current mode of operation is that is that the links don't always lead to a useful destination, like the person associated with the find result;

e.g

City Cemetery (#J-225), Belfast, Antrim
Place detail note: This grave was bought by John James Eagleson, my Grand Uncle, and transferred to Agnes Summerville. There is no stone on the grave but it was originally marked in the grave books as having hoops around it. This grave was bought by John James Eagleson.

The link here just takes me to the Note, no indication of individual(s) who are linked to that Place Details Note.

Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. ...

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:20 AM

I totally agree that the selective options are very much required and I would hope, Renee, that the enhancement will also include Finding EVERYWHERE.

The other thing I find frustration in the current mode of operation is that is that the links don't always lead to a useful destination, like the person associated with the find result;

I totally agree with all the points, especially that the links often don't lead to a useful destination. The links from Find Everywhere that I find most egregiously ineffective are the ones that lead to citations.

I would only add that having links from Find Everywhere lead to a useful destination would surely be more effective in a more non-modal style of operation, e.g., if a link could lead to an Edit Person screen or an Edit Source screen etc. while still leaving  the Find Everywhere screen functional.

Jerry

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7953 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:34 AM

Confirming these are also on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic