B

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

No, there is not from within RM. I think it would be possible using an outboard SQLite query of the database. That means it should be possible for the program to be enhanced to answer such a question.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

I created a custom fact TWIN that I use to document twins, triplets, etc. Since I started using that fact type many years ago, I can answer that question by making a list of people who have the TWIN fact type.

#4 Bram

Bram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:39 AM

That is too bad. The reason I bought RM7 was the ability to get statistical info and publish a website. It seems the publishing feature has been abandoned by the team and the statistical information is not available. But because of the Ancestry compatibility RM is the only option I have.

#5 Madge

Madge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:33 AM

I created a custom fact TWIN that I use to document twins, triplets, etc. Since I started using that fact type many years ago, I can answer that question by making a list of people who have the TWIN fact type.

I've got a couple of sets of twins, could I be cheeky please and ask for the sentence construction that you use for your custom fact, I can't think of one that isn't 'clumsy' and I probably couldn't compose it either.

Margaret

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7853 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

That is too bad. The reason I bought RM7 was the ability to get statistical info and publish a website. It seems the publishing feature has been abandoned by the team and the statistical information is not available. But because of the Ancestry compatibility RM is the only option I have.

Not sure all the statistics you want but In Reports there is a Statistic List. You can also search by any fact, so if you have a fact that you added that someone was a twin you would be able to locate it. There is also the Find Everywhere option under Search. If the twins simply have the same birthday but nothing noting they were a twin, then you would need to look for people born on the same day. You can sort the People view by clicking on the column head. Then scroll through to find people born the same day. You can filter by a group if there was a particular area of interest. The Birthday List can also focus on a group of people if that makes it easier to find them.  

RootsMagic still supports our MyRootsMagic (Publish Online) websites. It is only the HTML style websites that are no longer being developed. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

Name: Twin
Abbrev: Twin
Fact type: Personal
Use
-  Date: Yes
-  Place: Yes
-  Description: Yes
Include
-  GEDCOM: Yes
-  Publish online / Create HTML: Yes
-  Group sheets: Yes
-  Narrative reports: Yes
-  Individual summary: Yes
-  Lists: Yes
Sentence template:
[Person] was born a twin or triplet [Desc].

In use, the Desc field gets something like:
"- a twin of Mary"
or
"- a triplet with Mary and Samuel"

I use the Sort Date to place this right after the Birth fact.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7853 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

I actually enabled the description field on the birth fact and added the twin information there. On the sentence template I added < [Desc]> where I wanted it to display. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Madge

Madge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

Thank you Zhangrau and Renee, I'll give both methods a try, I've only got a few pairs of twins and it would be nice to be able to locate them easily.

Margaret.

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:36 PM

Putting the twin designation into the Birth Desc means you can only use the Find Everywhere tool to do your search. I'm not a fan of that tool, because I used it yesterday to find a particular Source name, and RM took over 1-1/2 HOURS to complete the search.

Using the custom TWIN fact type, you can go to the Fact Type list and just print the individuals who use that fact. Much, much quicker.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

With the future URL for the SQLite tools wiki due to change by September, I'll post this code here where it can be found after the change. It reports the RINs of pairs of people having the same parents (at least 1 of them blood), the same non-blank birth date and the same birth place (can be blank). Use the RootsMagic Explorer Record button to find each of them for review to verify they are twins and edit accordingly as has been suggested above for reporting and ease of re-finding. The script could be elaborated to output more info such as names and birth date. BTW, it reported 252 potential twins from a database of 160,000 people in 2.46 seconds...

Sample output:

Person1	Person2	FamilyID
184	185	52
271	272	79
294	295	88
410	411	131

That first pair revealed a probable error in my database. Both of them had two birth dates, one of each a full date with YMD, the other with just Y. The Y dates matched while their YMD dates were a couple of years apart. I'd have to dig deeper but I noted that the only source for 1 of the girls was a Census which put the Y birth event 2 years before her YMD and coinciding with the other's Y birth which was the same year as her YMD. Very likely a false positive, perhaps stemming from an error in the Census for one of them. So the script not only identifies possible twins, it can help identify possible birth date errors.

DROP VIEW IF EXISTS CoincidentBirthRINs
;
CREATE TEMP VIEW CoincidentBirthRINs
AS
SELECT E1.OwnerID Person1, E2.OwnerID Person2 -- pairs of people's RINs with same birth date
FROM EventTable E1
JOIN EventTable E2
USING(EventType, Date, PlaceID) -- those having same fact type on same date in same place
WHERE EventType=1 --Birth only
AND E1.OwnerID < E2.OwnerID -- ignore self match
AND E1.Date NOT LIKE '.' -- must have a date value
;

-- Any coincident pairs in same family with at least 1 blood parent?
SELECT CBRIN.*, C1.FamilyID FamilyID FROM CoincidentBirthRINs CBRIN
JOIN ChildTable C1 ON Person1 = C1.ChildID AND (C1.RelFather = 0 OR C1.RelMother=0)
JOIN ChildTable C2 ON Person2 = C2.ChildID AND (C2.RelFather = 0 OR C2.RelMother=0)
WHERE C1.FamilyID = C2.FamilyID
;

Edited by TomH, 24 April 2018 - 02:19 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7853 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:42 PM

Putting the twin designation into the Birth Desc means you can only use the Find Everywhere tool to do your search. I'm not a fan of that tool, because I used it yesterday to find a particular Source name, and RM took over 1-1/2 HOURS to complete the search.

Using the custom TWIN fact type, you can go to the Fact Type list and just print the individuals who use that fact. Much, much quicker.

I don't use Find Everywhere to find twins. I use RM Explore or create a group using the filter: Birth - Value - Contains - Twin

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1543 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:45 AM

Back on about 6 March 2014, a couple sets of sentence templates were given.  Here they  are and I have used them. They could be by RM also. 

Fact Type: TWIN 

[person:Given:Surname] was born <[date]><[placedetails]><[place]>.

[person:Given:Surname]<,twin <%brother |sister |>of [Twin:First],> was born <[date><[placedetails]><[place]>.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#14 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:23 AM

After I find twins I put twin in the suffix part of the name.