• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joaniepoanie

joaniepoanie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

New  to the programme. I have my tree on  with myself as the main person. Now I want to put my husbands tree on can I do this with him as main person.  Also can you change main person on the trees?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5875 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

On the menu Tools > File Options > General you can change who the Root person is for your database. Yes you can put your husband's tree in your database with your tree. You will have some merging to do if each of you and your descendants are already in the other's tree. You could avoid much of that by dragging, say, your husband and all his ancestors from his database and dropping him onto himself on your database (or vice versa). Make a backup of your target database before doing so in case you end up with a mess.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

It's also possible that you have other shared ancestors that you might not recognize at the moment. I have been collecting people into my database for 30 years, and it is currently a bit over 400K individuals. When I take on research projects for friends, I am always pleased when I find that we are indeed family - although we typically need to look back 10 or more generations to find that common ancestor. That really shouldn't be surprising since we have 4 grandparents, 8 great-grand-parents, etc. - doubling at each generation. Using the Relationship Calculator, one of my brothers is related about 60 different ways to his wife (closest being 9th cousins), and another brother is 28th cousin of his wife. How did I get 30 generations back? By frequenting libraries with old history books. Some of those books include stemma, that is, small short genealogy trees for ruling families in various parts of the world. Also, some researchers of dynasties throughout the world have included lists of family links. Since royal families have tended to inter-marry, not very frequently elevating a commoner into their ranks, I've found that the more collecting I do, the more linkages and inter-married family lines have appeared in my database.

#4 joaniepoanie

joaniepoanie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:40 AM

ty both that's a great help

Joanie