#1 blanken

blanken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:01 AM

Hi

Pardon my ignorance ;-)

I am considering RootsMagic for my genealogy, but have one question before getting started.

When putting the family tree online, I see from samples that the overview tree (Pedigree) shows only ancestors, not descendants! Is it not possible to show descendants?

Best regards from Denmark 
Michael Blankensteiner

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 05:40 AM

It's unavailable in the current iteration of the MyRootsMagic.com website.

By definition, a pedigree is ancestral. A descendant tree starts from an ancestor. Another type of display is hourglass which combines the pedigree tree and tge descendant tree for a focus person.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 blanken

blanken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:25 AM

Hi Tom

Thanx for your reply.

"Hourglass" would really be nice, do you know if that is going to be an option in the near future?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

No, I don't. Just a user, like you. There are better websites which can use your RM database data exported to GEDCOM. GedSite, TNG and many others. 

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 BrendaH

BrendaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

When putting the family tree online, I see from samples that the overview tree (Pedigree) shows only ancestors, not descendants! Is it not possible to show descendants?

I am not sure if I am understanding your question completely.  If you look at the PEDIGREE view, as Tom stated, the PEDIGREE view is meant to show ancestors only.  This is the way genealogists have been doing pedigree charts for years and years.  If you buy a blank Pedigree chart that has been printed off for genealogists (there are some companies that sell blank charts for people who don't use computers or don't use genealogy software) those blank Pedigree charts will ALWAYS have one "focal person" (a starting point) and then show his/her ancestors from there.

Now, there are different views, other than PEDIGREE view.  You might want to look at the DESCENDANT view.  This would pick one focal person, and then show his/her descendants.

Brenda

#6 blanken

blanken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

Hi Brenda, thanks for your reply

I am looking for a way to show my ancestors AND descendants, online, for any given person in my family tree.

Just like you see on Geni or MyHeritage (for various reasons I am not keen on using those websites).

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

RootsMagic has its strongest links with FamilySearch Family Tree (a quasi-universal free, public tree) and Ancestry Member Trees (public or private personal trees). Do you object to those?

With GedSite, you import a RootsMagic HTML and generate a custom website that you upload to a webhost. There are lots of options and customisations so you will find quite the variations among examples. However, no hourglass chart.  See http://gedsite.com/en/contents.htm

With TNG, you set up a website on a host with MySQL database support and can upload your RM GEDCOM to it. Lots of options and customisations. No hourglass chart. See http://www.tngsitebuilding.com/

Genealone is another possibility although not updated since 2016. Appears to have a bowtie (horizontal hourglass) view. See http://genealone.com/

For an extensive list of Genealogy website generators and online tree hosts, see https://www.cyndisli...ealogy-website/. Unfortunately, much of it is out-of-date.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7853 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:21 AM

Confirming a Publish Online Descendant view is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic