• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 adkguide

adkguide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:01 PM

Aside from Dropbox, what are some good strategies for using RM on both a desktop and a apropos. Can I install RM on both machines and then keep the data base including media on a flas drive? Is iCloud an option?

#2 adkguide

adkguide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

I should clarify that I am using RM 7 for Mac.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5783 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:07 PM

What's "a apropos"?

On a Mac, RootsMagic 7 cannot do a number of things and I do not recall them all. RootsMagic To-Go doesn't work and I don't think the RootsMagic application itself can read/write a flash drive (I may be wrong). You should be able to use a number of different file transfer utilities to copy files from one machine to another. Mac users need to step in after you clarify what your second device is. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 adkguide

adkguide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:47 AM

I meant to type a desktop and a laptop. I'm interested in being able to use my data both in my home office and when I travel on my laptop. Both run Mac OS. One would think there would be a simple way to do this by updating changes made on the laptop to the desktop Mac. There is a Magic Guide that explains how to transfer a database to an other computer using the backup and restore backup functions. It is hard to believe that in this day of sophisticated software that RM would be limited to using backups.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5783 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:18 AM

You might get better responses to your question in the RootsMagic for Mac forums or on the RootsMagic Users Facebook group.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

I will move it over there with a new thread.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

You can use cloud storage to share the backup between computers. I do not recommend that share the database file in cloud storage and live edit from there. It can corrupt, overwrite, and lock your file among other things. The backup insures you are working on the local copy. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:29 AM

I meant to type a desktop and a laptop. I'm interested in being able to use my data both in my home office and when I travel on my laptop. Both run Mac OS. One would think there would be a simple way to do this by updating changes made on the laptop to the desktop Mac. There is a Magic Guide that explains how to transfer a database to an other computer using the backup and restore backup functions. It is hard to believe that in this day of sophisticated software that RM would be limited to using backups.

Keep in mind that RM in not Mac Native (yet), and that and "sophisticated" means would need to be specific to the OS and cloud service meaning RM would have to have a OneDrive, Dropbox, iCloud, etc, that was validated on a couple versions of Mac OS and Windows. A pretty big undertaking, which is why pretty much no one does it.

That said, you can get a semblance of what you desire using iCloud as long as you understand that iCloud (and OneDrive) treats RM's database as a file, not a database.

You'll need an iCloud account that is larger than the "free" 5GB. You'll need to have iCloud set up on both devices using the same iCloud account. You need to have the "Desktop & Documents folder" checked in iCloud options. You need to store the RM database and media in a folder that's in the top level documents folder NOT in the Documents folder specific to an individual device. You'll need to enable "Optimize space" (why you need to have more than 5GB). 

The critical part of this to understand is even though you can see the database from both devices now, YOU CANNOT OPEN ON BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. Open the database on one, do your changes, CREATE A BACKUP ON EXIT. Then you can open on Laptop (with network connectivity), do your work, save backup on exit, etc. Do not ever open the database when you do not have network connectivity if the last update was on another device.

What will happen in this process is iCloud will have a local copy of the database and associated files. When you close RM the changes will be copied back to iCloud Drive, but it's going to copy the entire file. You'll want to regularly run the database tools, and save a backup after each session. If you do open on your laptop say on a plane without wifi and make changes it will use the local copy, and if that wasn't the same as the desktop copy then you're going to lose one set of changes or the other.

#9 adkguide

adkguide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

Keith,

Thanks to you and the others who replied to my query.  I will experiment a bit with icloud where I have sufficient space.