• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 croasmunj

croasmunj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:01 PM

Personal Historian 3 (MacOS High Sierra) goes crazy sending and receiving packets. It has caused our ISP to threaten to up our plan because of the upload and download bandwidth. When I start the program, here's what the activity monitor shows (https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Even if I unplug/turn off Internet access, I still get the same packet blowup. 

If I create a new .phist file, things look fine, but as soon as I add 1 story, the sent and received packets blow up.

Help!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

Personal Historian should only access the internet when the program first opens, checking for updates, or when importing from Facebook. If you're doing neither than it won't access the internet and send any packets. What I wonder is where your PH database file is stored on the computer that your editing. Is it inside of any folder being synced to cloud storage like Dropbox, GoogleDrive or OneDrive?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 croasmunj

croasmunj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:07 AM

Hi Renee,

I have the .phist files sitting on the desktop but the database files are in their default location - Applications\PersonalHistorian3\Contents.

I've paused dropbox, and de-selected folders for syncing with Timemachine. I've put the phist files on a flash drive but all these tries don't help.

Would Wineskin be the problem? My hunch is no, since I'd probably see a lot more chatter on this issue if it was.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:45 AM

I haven't seen any other reports on this. There might be something else in the background causing it. Uninstall Personal Historian. Then restart your computer and go offline. Run antivirus and anti-malware programs to clean your computer. Doing this offline will prevent bugs from calling home for reinforcements. Once it is clean do the reinstall of Personal Historian.

Renee
RootsMagic