• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rongrenier

rongrenier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:16 PM

I am attempting to upgrade from version 4 to version 7 of Rootsmagic.   The program is attempting to convert the database but has been running for 7 hours.  It stays on "Cleaning Up Duplicate Media".  How long should the file conversion take?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7956 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:17 AM

There was a file format change that causes an issue converting RM4 to RM7. Though that isn't the error message I usually see. I wouldn't expect it to run 7 hrs to clean up  duplicate media. 

Try downloading RM6 Essentials and converting it in there. Then you can open it in RM7. 

http://www.rootsmagi...d/RootsMagic-6/

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Laurence Cadd

Laurence Cadd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:48 AM

Regrettably using Version 6 as advised does not improve the process. This version still 'hangs' trying to remove duplicates.

I suspect that the issue is the size of the database being converted as a smaller database does not have that issue.

If this issue is not resolved I will be requesting a refund of the cost.

#4 Laurence Cadd

Laurence Cadd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:08 AM

It appears to be a data issue as another even larger file converts ok.

Is there a way to send the file to RootsMagic technicians and have them research why?

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3088 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:58 PM

Open a help ticket and send them a copy of a backup file for your database as a part of submitting the ticket.

Jerry

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3388 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

It appears to be a data issue as another even larger file converts ok.
Is there a way to send the file to RootsMagic technicians and have them research why?

https://support.root...us/requests/new

I suggest adding the URL address for this forum message to the Description: block of the online Request form.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Laurence Cadd

Laurence Cadd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:07 AM

I am minded not to bother opening a ticket as I have found a solution.

Export the data from V4 in Ged format and then load into V7.

As the whole process is on the same laptop all the document links work and the data appears to be correct.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Converting, Database, version 4, Version 7