#1 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

Hello:

I started with backing up my RootsMagic file into February (2018-04-12).rmgb.  However, I would now like to change the backup file to something like surname.  However each time I make a backup it tries to backup in February (2018-04-12).rmgb even when changing the backup name.  Is there a way to change this?

Sandra 

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

Sandra,

It sounds like you may need to change the default location for where backup files are sent. Look under Tools > Program Options > Folders. There you can change the location of Backup files. 

~ Debbie

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

If you have a second drive [or more], it is safer to set the backup folder on a drive other than the one where the database resides.  It could even be a flash drive assuming that you have one installed every time you run RM.

#4 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:27 AM

Hi:

I went to Tools, program Options, File Folders then looked at the 5 files to choose from and then created \2018.  I tried to back up but February 2018 kept showing up.  What should I do differently?

#5 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:03 AM

Did you actually select/save the new folder you created as the default location for backups to be saved into after you created it?

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#6 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:24 AM

This always comes up when I choose backup:  February (2018-04-13).rmgb I did try to change it.

#7 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:04 AM

Yes in the end i have a backup folder with a folder called 2018

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7652 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

I'm not clear on if you want to change the folder or the filename? The backup should have the name of the database with the date appended, if selected in the Program Options.  Even if you changed the backup name when it restores it will be the same name as the database, so it's best not to mis-match. You can rename the database by going to File>Rename. Then it will create a backup by the same name.

If you want a different folder to save the backups in, then go to Tools>Program Options>Folders and click on the [...] to select the default folder for backups. When you make a backup that is where it's going to look.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5719 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

It sounds like your database file is "February.rmgc". The automatic backup name is therefore going to be "February (backup date).rmgb". Nothing wrong with the process. If you change the filename to "February Family Tree.rmgc", then the backup file will auto-name to "February Family Tree (backup date).rmgb".

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:25 AM

I have tried changing the backup file from February but end up with February each time I try to backup.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5719 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

You have to change the name of the database file itself for its backup filename to change. You do that through the menu File>Rename.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:09 PM

Hello:

I am sorry, but I have not been able to change the name of the file by going tools,program options, then looking at a list of files.

Sandra

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

See Tom's suggestion: File->Rename. It's not under Tools.

Jerry

#14 sandrabartman

sandrabartman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

Okay