• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 donlanding

donlanding

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:09 AM

I have ended up with two "Place Details" files within RootsMagic.  One of them has one name in it and the second one has all the other names in it including the first one.  The name is the same in both files but the LAT/LON is different.  I first discovered this using GedSite to display places on a map.  Is there supposed to be two files? I can delete the one with one record and readd it to the second but I was wondering of this was supposed to be possible?  The names used to be "Goodwill M. E." and Goodwill M.E.", notice the space missing after "M." in the second name.  I tried to merge the two names but they are in different files. So I made the name the same in both but that didn't fix anything.

Thanks Don

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5875 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:14 AM

If the two Place Details are under separate Places, first merge the Places so that the PDs are in the same Place. Then, quoting Jerry Bryan:

"In the case of merging cemeteries or other Place Details, merging the Place Details "just works". In the Place List, select the Place of interest, click the Place Details tab, highlight a Place Details you want to keep, and click Merge. Check all the other Place Details you wish to merge in with the one you are going to keep, and complete the process by clicking Merge Selected Places."

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:15 AM

The scenario you describe is possible. It's the result of user error, but it would probably be a very subtle user error of some sort - the sort of thing where you wouldn't even notice the error.

For example, at some point in your processing you might enter a Place name. At another point in your processing - perhaps hours or days or months later - you might enter the same Place name but spelled ever so slightly differently. Perhaps the difference is a difference in spacing or capitalization or almost anything trivial - e.g., "Great Falls, Montana" without the quotes vs. "Great Falls,  Montana" without the quotes. Notice that the second instance of the name has an extra blank that doesn't belong. At yet another point in your processing years later, you might notice in the Edit Person screen that one or the other of the place names is spelled wrongly somehow or other and you correct it. At this point, you will have two identical place names in your database. They will need to be merged in your Place List. It would have been easier and better to have fixed the problem with a merge in the Place List in the first place, but that's not where you noticed the problem. You noticed the problem in the Edit Person screen.

Now suppose that in addition to the above, you have some burials at the Shady Rest Cemetery in Great Falls which you entered into the Place Details field, spelled exactly the same in all instances. Except that most of the burials in the Shady Rest Cemetery were recorded in "Great Falls, Montana" without out the quotes and one of the burials was recorded in "Great Falls,  Montana" without the quotes. After merging the two instances of Great Falls, Montana in the Place list to get rid of the duplication and the name with the double blank, you will be left with a duplicate instance of Shady Rest Cemetery in the Place Details list under the Place name item for Great Falls, Montana. So you have to do the same sort of merge in the Place Details list that you did in the Place list.

It's worth going through the Place list from time to time, eyeballing for funny looking or duplicate entries. There is no automated procedure for this, but problems usually stand out like a sore thumb. Fix them with a merge. And after the Place List merge, then eyeball the Place Detail list for the Place that you just merged.

Jerry

#4 donlanding

donlanding

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:13 AM

I have two different PLACES files in the same RM database.  The first name is listed in the "normal" PLACES file with all the other places that are in the RM database.  The second name is listed in a PLACES file all by it self even though it is in the same RM database as the other one.  Is there a way to merge the two PLACES files.  I realize I could just delete the second one and renter it in the first one but I was first interested in the idea of why this happened and should it have happened?  Is it a bug? who knows,  I realize that PLACES isn't really a separate file but (in this case) just two different TABLES in the same RM database.

Thanks Don Landing

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:02 AM

It's hard to determine if you are talking about two different Places that are the same or two different Place Details that are the same. Whichever it is, the solution is to merge them.

In the case of Places, highlight one of the duplicate Places, click the Merge tab at the top of the screen, click the checkbox next to the Place you want to merge with the original Place you selected, and complete the merge by clicking the Merge selected places box at the bottom of the screen. In case you actually have multiple duplications, you can click multiple checkboxes at the same time.

In the case of Place Details, highlight the Place that contains the duplicate Place Details and click the Place Details tab at the top of the screen. There will be a sub-window with just the Place Details. Accomplish any merge for the Place Details in the same manner as I just described for Places.

Sometimes, Duplicate Place details will emerge only after the completion of a Merge of Places. So look carefully at your Place Details list after any merge of Places.

Jerry

#6 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:53 PM

While looking in the LIST PLACES, you will notice a tab in the toolbar far right that says UNUSED PLACES. Open it and delete all the names.