• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 leslie3307

leslie3307

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:24 PM

On my To Do Lists that I print out there is a letter with a number (A252) (B400).  The letter always corresponds to the person's last name. All last names have the same number. So all Butler's are B400. If the last name is unknown, it prints (). I know it is not the RIN # or the MRIN number. I have RIN #s set to display in tools; file options. It also doesn't appear to be a familysearch ID or LDS number; I have those disabled.  It only shows up for a person task and not a family task in the printed To Do List. So, I am thinking it is some family #.  I only have 118 families but numbers go as high as 500.  I can't find any information about it and I have not found a way to print without it.  I haven't found it on any other reports either.  Am I missing something?  Sorry if this question has already been answered.  I did a search and didn't find this exact situation.

Thank you for any help.  It is not a big deal to leave it on, but I would like to know what it is and if it has any other uses.

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:30 PM

It looks like it could be a soundex number: https://www.archives...us/soundex.html

Dick Eastman has a soundex calcalator: http://www.eogn.com/soundex/

When I type in Butler, it shows a number of B346, not B400. 

When I type the last names on my To Do list into the Soundex Calculator, the numbers on the To Do list match with the numbers on the Soundex Calculator. Are you sure Butler is showing as B400?

~ Debbie

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8698 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:32 AM

Did you add the soundex number or something else to the Reference Number fact? Are Reference Numbers set to display after names in the File Options?

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 leslie3307

leslie3307

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

Yes, Renee, I checked and it is B346, not B400.  I was just using that as a general example to show that the same last names had the same number.  It is the soundex number.  Thanks, I wouldn't have guessed that. 

I have the record number set to display, not the reference number.  But I do have a reference number fact that uses the record numbers.  I put them in manually but I can't find anything that I did to show the soundex number.  It may just be set up in the To Do List automatically.  It doesn't really bother me, just wanted to know what it is. It doesn't seem to print out on any other reports.  Thanks for your help.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8698 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

Ok, now I know what you are seeing. It only appears on To-Do items connected to a person. On the report its under Who and their name. The soundex code is added by default to help with the research. Not as vital as it once was for us. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 leslie3307

leslie3307

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for clarifying that Renee.   :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RIN, family#