5 replies to this topic

#1 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:16 AM

Not sure if I should put RM Mac issues here or in the RM Mac section. These are bugs that are I assume are related to CrossOver. Please move if it's in the wrong place.

Each of these has a workaround, but they are annoyances that interfere with workflow. Since I use RM on both platforms I've confirmed these are Mac specific. I would like to continue using RM primarily on the Mac, but will switch back to using Windows if there's no effective solution.

• When using TreeShare neither of the the Delete buttons work (i.e if someone is on Ancestry and not RM and you wish to delete them from Ancestry it errors when hitting Delete and does nothing, vice versa is also true).
  • Window clicks are often ignored. (i.e if you are working through a listbox of people or places clicking on a person often doesn't do anything).
  • Listbox don't always refresh, or refresh slowly. (i.e. if you are doing something like merging place names and delete one the list and either be half blank, or not refresh).
  • Listboxs don't scroll normally. (i.e. you should be able to click in the scrollbar to go to the next "page", only clicking the up/down arrow works)

This is with the latest RM version, and Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra, not High Sierra). I've avoided going to High Sierra due to the Crossover issues, but maybe getting the newer Crossover and moving to High Sierra would solve them. Advise would be appreciated.

#2 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:56 AM

Interesting post.

I recognise the Delete button problem in TreeShare. My work around (I expect it's what you do, and yes, it does waste a little time) is to delete each entry separately on the individual platform - that way at least the Ancestry record is gone the next time you run TreeShare.

I don't *think* that I've come up against the other problems you mention - I'm going to check them out later today.

Incidentally, I'm running the latest RM (7.5.5) on Mac OS 10.13.4 (latest Hight Sierra).

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:00 AM

I'm not a Mac user, but issues such as are described in this thread cause me to wonder how issues such as hotkeys and right clicks will work in RM8. The complete rewrite of RM for RM8 is using a software development tool which allows a single code base to produce an executable that runs on both a PC and a Mac. Needless to say, a PC and a Mac handle right clicks and hotkeys somewhat differently. So I wonder how right clicks and hotkeys will work in RM8.

Jerry

#4 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

I'm not a Mac user, but issues such as are described in this thread cause me to wonder how issues such as hotkeys and right clicks will work in RM8. The complete rewrite of RM for RM8 is using a software development tool which allows a single code base to produce an executable that runs on both a PC and a Mac. Needless to say, a PC and a Mac handle right clicks and hotkeys somewhat differently. So I wonder how right clicks and hotkeys will work in RM8.

Jerry

Interesting Jerry, I'd be curious to know what development tool that is as I use several and one of them does do just that. It would certainly make my efforts to enhance some things in the database much easier if they happened to pick a tool that I already used.

In any case most of the UI scenarios are the same on Mac vs Windows, but for example a Control-X is a Command-X on a Mac. The development platform normally handles most of that. The items that I refer to are things that should be identical on Mac vs Windows.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

I think the RootsMagic 8 development platform is Embarcadero Delphi, version unknown by me.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

Confirming these are issues in the CrossOver wrapper, they have been submitted to CrossOver for resolution but we have no time frame on that. Our focus is the native Mac version, where the CrossOver translation will no longer be needed. 

Renee
RootsMagic